PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft on the Switch

bret
08-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Went halvies in on minecraft for the switch over the weekend. Never played it before. Enjoying the split screen multiplayer with my 7 year old. From my understanding, you either do a creative mode and just do whatever, or some kind of survival mode where I just died repeatedly. Can definitely see why this was a PC game first as I am missing motion controls and touch screen abilities. Trying to figure out the crafting system, seems easy enough.
Any suggestions on interesting things to do with minecraft?

Macheath
08-15-2018, 10:21 AM
This is really your first exposure to Minecraft? :monocle:

Jeez, interesting things to do. Well, in my experience there are three types of people in this game:

The Survivor plays the game more or less as it is. They start with an empty inventory, punch trees, make a house to keep them safe at night, and expand as they pile up the materials to do so. You can end up with a whole city built from nothing but the rocks you found while clearing space for the cows you led home with wheat you grew yourself.
The Builder wants to make a huge pile of stuff without worrying about creepers, hunger, or even scrounging for finite materials. Creative mode is the only thing that will satisfy them fully.
The Explorer doesn't give a shit about any of that, and just wants to take a pile of torches and steaks into the nearest cave, then go spelunking until there's a power outage.
I'm an explorer, what are you?

brien
08-15-2018, 10:54 AM
I'm actually a bit blown away to hear that a person exists who has not played Minecraft before this point in time. As you will soon realize, if you haven't already from your recent play session, it will become an awesome way to connect with your kids both inside and outside of the game. My kids (6 and 10) spend most of their "screen time" playing minecraft. Both of my boys (6yo and 10yo) are hard core Builders, they make a ton of stuff, very creative little dudes.

There's sort of a fourth style of gamer to add to Mac's list:
* The Multiplayer/Minigamer wants to hop on some the bigger multiplayer servers and play mini-games and build battles

My kids spend a lot of time doing that as well.

Macheath
08-15-2018, 11:42 AM
* The Multiplayer/Minigamer wants to hop on some the bigger multiplayer servers and play mini-games and build battles
Oh yeah, there's a whole universe of mods (and modded servers) out there to try. I don't know how much of that is accessible from the Switch version of the game (I've never played Minecraft on any console before, so I'm mostly just ignorant). Really, my list was just the "vanilla" possibilities.

brien
08-15-2018, 12:49 PM
If you connect to "Nintendo Switch Online" then you have access to a bunch of minigame servers

bret
08-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Cool stuff. I want to do survival and earn my loot but my son just wanted to build with everything. Loving the ability to do split screen Co-op though. I think he'll do the survival with me and when I'm busy he will do creative.