PDA

View Full Version : New Gnorloinia

nynnja
11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
With the new game dropping on Friday and our server restarting here's a new thread!

My first thought... When you start the new server can it be from a cool seed like this one Drew posted? (http://forums.reebosak.net/showthread.php?7-Minecraft&p=8672&viewfull=1#post8672)

Gnorlin
11-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, however it's been a few versions since then so I'm thinking that seed may not actually give us the same world.

Macheath
11-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow, that is a pretty cool looking seed/world.

I'm feeling like I want to play some Minecraft, now that the "real game" is coming out and I don't have to worry so much about the world vanishing suddenly.

Shall we plan out land plots like we did once upon a time? A new rail system? A monorail in the sky, tunnels beneath the earth?

Watch me be the impetus for a ton of planning, and then play for 20 minutes.

nynnja
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Well crap. If the seeds don't work maybe we can try a couple before settling in on one?

nynnja
11-15-2011, 12:42 PM
We didn't make squares in the last one (before the movie set) but we stayed pretty well away from each other. The long rail lines off to far places seemed to work pretty well and let us keep good distance.

Maybe we can just lay claim to a place, build a monolith of some sort, and everybody just stay a respectable distance away from each other.

Gnorlin
11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of the land plots. They were too gigantic in my opinion and led to stuff being way too spread out. Even WITH the rail system it took forever to get anywhere. The last time we reset we just let anyone build wherever and it seemed to work out. Maybe this time we should try to build a cool little town/city somewhere and then go out into the wilderness for projects that won't fit.

nyyx
11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Not that I'm invested, but I will point out that with a new world, you may want to decide if you want any mods to go with (that may add additional resources) now. That requires a lil more effort in the server setup, and for those that connect (zomg, download your mods! Drop them in a folder!!). The benefit though is more to mess around with, and some fun project potential.

Well thought out ones that come to mind(and that I've tested):
Redpower (better redstone systems, wires, bundling, and compacted logic arrays)
IndustrialCraft^2 (Adds several ores, electricity, machines, power tools, and nuclear reactors for those that like a challenge)
NetherOres (adds ore-spawning with some challenges fitting for the nether)

desolation
11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I agree with gnorlin. A town would be pretty cool or something with some close residences and maybe a rail and tunnel system. Before if i wanted to run over and check out someones place to see if anything new had changed it became a trip that just wasn't worth it.

Kyrin
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Ill be in for this when I return from vacation.

nynnja
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I like the "town" idea. Do we lay it out in city blocks?

As far as mods go, I vote for leaving it as is for now. If you ever get the multi-world thing going lets go nuts with flying nuclear unicorn cheese factory mods.

Macheath
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, even a town needs some planning. It would be awesome to have roads and curbs and alleys between high rises.

nynnja
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
here's a video for discussion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TnBCrCrYc

nynnja
11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
but if we want it to be that pretty we better allow "give" because I am not mining and baking that much stone or glass

Macheath
11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Duh, yes we need give. Hell if I'm going to play a whole lot if I need to mine up all my materials. Digging and adventuring are fun, but building is way funner.

Drewbie
11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I like the town near the spawn point idea, but the distance issue between people's places was negated by having the nether portals. You could travel massive distances between places using the roads we built down there. I'm all over helping lay that out again for those of us that want a bit more space to play with quite a distance away from the hustle and bustle of everyone else.

Plus, then when I build a giant 1/2 finished cathedral, it won't be an eyesore.

desolation
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
but if we want it to be that pretty we better allow "give" because I am not mining and baking that much stone or glass

or it would start as a shanty town that would grow to become a thriving metropolis as we gather more resources! lol

Drewbie
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Duh, yes we need give. Hell if I'm going to play a whole lot if I need to mine up all my materials. Digging and adventuring are fun, but building is way funner.

If we're having /give, then I'm for sure building far away from all that nonsense. I built what I consider to be some pretty damned cool stuff without /give in the last world, as did most of those of us that stayed active there. Hell, that entire rail system that went all over was done legitimately. I guess if others really want it, whatever, but I'd much prefer not doing that so we have reasons to build massive traps and perhaps have an economy for trading resources and materials.

nynnja
11-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Like I said if we want that pretty I'm for "give" otherwise I prefer the normal settings.

Kyrin
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Have the spawn point be in a small village, perhaps near an abbey, with a road leading to the main metropolis.

Personally, i don't care in regards to /give, though it allows for us to create some really nice things.

Drewbie
11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
My only requests are the following:

The new start point has no snow anywhere near it
Kyrin has no say in anything

I don't feel I'm asking all that much here.

Kyrin
11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Yeesh. That's rather uncalled for...

Dendrophilia
11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeesh. That's rather uncalled for...

yeah I know… whats drew's beef with snow

nynnja
11-16-2011, 06:42 AM
My only requests are the following:

The new start point has no snow anywhere near it
Kyrin has no say in anything

I don't feel I'm asking all that much here.

1. agreed

2. I think he conveniently arranged for that himself by avoiding the "Let's pay for the server thread" ....

So I need money ($15.20) from these people:
Nynnja
Drewbie
desolation
sheil
Macheath
Murdoch
Fendruil
Gnorlin - well not really
quirinus
sesko

Gnorlin
11-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Kyrin didn't pay for the server so he doesn't get a say. If he ponies up the money then he gets as much a say as anyone else.

Kyrin
11-16-2011, 06:56 AM
That is what I figured and rightly so.

Currently I'm on vacation in Florida with only my phone for Internet access. Otherwise I would have already sent money.

Gnorlin
11-16-2011, 07:57 AM
That is what I figured and rightly so.

Currently I'm on vacation in Florida with only my phone for Internet access. Otherwise I would have already sent money.Paypal has a mobile app.

nynnja
11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Paypal has a mobile app.

Don't encourage him!

Fendruil
11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
I am good with whatever the majority wants to do as far as the /give stuff. Building a city/town at or near the spawn point sounds cool and pretty fun. I will say that I will likely venture off into the distance somewhere towards some cool mountains if possible as I did the last time out. I liked my little mountain get away and would like to create one again.

I will say that I do somewhat agree with Drewbie on the gathering of mats making the game more fun but I can see how that will make creating that city/town far more time consuming.

Gnorlin
11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I could always set it up so that some people have /give and some do not (whichever makes the game more fun for you )

Macheath
11-16-2011, 11:15 AM
To me, "gathering mats" is the ultimate grind. It's exciting when you happen upon minerals or whatever, sure, but that's literally about 0.1% of the blocks you dig through. I spent many, many hours hollowing out an underground M.C. Escher silo on one of the last "no /give" worlds (yes, I know everyone else dug a lot more) and you know what I found? Rock, dirt, and sand. Really not how I want to spend my time. Let me hollow out a mountain in order to build something, not because I need to find a single block of diamond.

It does give you the same kind of artificial sense of accomplishment you get from leveling up in an MMO. I think you guys are just addicted to that.

Fendruil
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Mac makes a good point as usual. I am now swayed to the /give when I need it since it is really on me to use if I see fit.

nynnja
11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
was that a slight breeze?

Ok, I changed my mind, I vote /give. But let's keep all the standard health, damage, death, falling damage, zombies, pig killing settings. Then I at least have the threat of falling in a hole and having to /give myself all that stuff again.

Gnorlin
11-16-2011, 02:01 PM
ok /give for everyone!! except drewbie who gets /cock

Drewbie
11-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Why not just have the admin of the server have /give and they stock one of the buildings in the town with tools since that's, to me, the only real excuse for not wanting to hollow out a mountain just to make good equipment. You need mats to build something, get digging. Find some sheep if you wanna make a giant rainbow disco of ghey.

Macheath
11-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Let me get this straight. You'd rather spend three hours mining up cobblestone and putting stacks of it into a bank of six ovens to make smooth stone to use in the next column of your cathedral, than simply give yourself a couple stacks of granite and get building? You'd rather spend 98% of your time collecting sand and cooking it into glass and 2% of your time designing and building a bunch of cool windows, than the other way around?

You and I will continue to differ on these points, I'm afraid. I'll dig when I want to go exploring, you can dig... always... if that will make you happy.

The journey is never the reward when it consists of staring at a virtual pickaxe on a monitor.

Kyrin
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Drew can always put a sign out front of his house saying "built without /give"

nyyx
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
no no... it will be in six foot high letters, emblazoned across his monument to toil, made out of gold blocks and the sweat from mining out the server to make them.

in front there will be an obsidian hand giving entrants the finger

Macheath
11-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I will build the same six foot high letters, spelling the same message, in front of my palace. It will be a lie, but you won't be able to tell the difference.

Kyrin
11-17-2011, 06:50 AM
And you will build yours up first

Gnorlin
11-17-2011, 06:50 AM
So I was able to get multi-world support going this morning!

You should be able to teleport to the old world (squares!) using
/mv tp old-worldand then back to the latest world using
/mv tp world I'll probably end up renaming them because that's damn confusing.

There's also a sign portal mod that goes along with it where if you put this in a sign on the left side of a nether portal it will portal you to a new world rather than the nether:

[mv]
world-name

I haven't had a chance to test that so no guarantee that it will work. There's a more complicated version of the mod that allows you to make anything into a portal so that's an option if we find this version to be lacking.

I don't have the old reebosak world on the server yet but I will get to that. It's on an old computer of mine that hasn't been powered on for more than a year. I'm concerned that since it's so old it may not be 100% compatible with the new server version, but there's no harm in trying.

nynnja
11-17-2011, 07:22 AM
While you're playing you should try one of those cool seed files. The new game probably won't change that much at launch.

Gnorlin
11-17-2011, 07:38 AM
/mv tp gnorloinia

Gnorlin
11-17-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the spawn for old-world might be messed up. When I went there this morning I ended up in the far lower left of the grid nowhere near the central hub with the map. I can fix it, I just didn't have time.

Gnorlin
11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the spawn for old-world might be messed up. When I went there this morning I ended up in the far lower left of the grid nowhere near the central hub with the map. I can fix it, I just didn't have time.

I think the nether also may not work correctly until I do some tweaking so don't be surprised if "world" ends up having non-working nether portals.

Drewbie
11-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Where the hell am I back in squares world? It says I'm at Elijah Pederson's lighthouse with all manner of signs on it, but I can't find anything close by that puts me back in the squares area.

Kyrin
11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Think something like this is possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTjJxBZ_jTg

It lasts until about 2:50.

Gnorlin
11-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Where the hell am I back in squares world? It says I'm at Elijah Pederson's lighthouse with all manner of signs on it, but I can't find anything close by that puts me back in the squares area.I forgot that for awhile I had two servers running, one with /give and one without. The one where we had /give was the squares, the one I have up now is the other. I need to do some searching to find the squares, unless it was lost when the server went down... I completely forget what world we had when we lost the server.

Drewbie
11-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Pretty sure it was the squares that we lost when the server went down. That's why we were bent out of shape since we lost the sets we built for the machinima.

The only one we had well established but took down on purpose was the first one where I built the Parthenon and you had your first treehouse Gnorlin.

Drewbie
11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Also, is the mob setting higher than it used to be? The sun went down and there were massive amounts of mobs running around outside, even in fairly well lit areas. I ran out of arrows pretty damned quickly.

Gnorlin
11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I think it's set to normal, I think notch upped the spawn rate. I built a teeny tiny mob spawner on a single player map and I got more items than my 10 level 14x14 mob spawner on 1.7.

Drewbie
11-20-2011, 09:48 PM
So far I've got two buildings near the spawn point. There's a large structure with a portal in it and a second two story building with a library on the upper floor. The library is important since there's an enchanting book on the second story. Feel free to use it, but know that with all the books I have around it, you probably won't be able to use it til you have 10+ experience points to burn up.

I also set up a cactus spawner and a sugar cane farm. Feel free to take what you need from either, although I ask that you replant the sugar cane so there's plenty for everyone.

I do plan to build a third building with a potion stand as well, but after that there's no real practical purpose to any other structures. I'll take suggestions though, otherwise feel free to contribute to that area as well. I'm planning to spend a bit more time back at my place now, which is connected to the spawn town by a cobblestone road now.

Fendruil
11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Drew, I was thinking that it might not be a bad idea to create several enchanting tables that could have different levels associated with them. So one by itself, one with just a few bookshelves, etc. It would allow people to more easily get enchants for the level they currently have, not that you can't with a fully populated table but it is pretty difficult.

Also, stacking the bookshelves 2 high works with the enchanting enhancements as well (not sure if you knew that or not).

Drewbie
11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Yep, I knew that. The table I have is surrounded with two high book shelves.

Drewbie
11-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, we learned something important last night.

Lando, Fen, and I set out with a few eyes of ender to try to find one of the server's three strongholds. We traveled a great distance and finally got to a spot where launching the eyes would send them back and forth over one particular hill near the water. we dug into the hill and found a massive cave system, but launching the eye underground proved challenging. Despite our best efforts, and digging down to the bedrock, we never found the stronghold.

Disheartened, I looked up any helpful hints to finding these things since the only pictures I'd seen lead me to believe these things were massive and not all that deep typically. I stumbled onto a thread on the minecraft forum where a guy wrote a program that took the seed number of the server and gave you back a map of all the biomes, locations of villages, and pinpointed the strongholds on the overworld map.

This lead to the enlightening moment of the night. Our world did not originate around point 0,y,0 on the map so the locations of the strongholds don't appear to make any sense in relation to our starting point at -577,y,-1771. This apparently makes the Eye's unreliable from what we could tell.

To test this theory, Lando and I set out to the closest coordinate for one of the three strongholds to try it out. Once there, we dug down and sure enough, there was the stronghold. It is a massive structure, is tied to a surface cave, and was not that hard to find once we got to the right spot.

So to conclude, don't waste Eyes of Ender on trying to find Strongholds because they don't work. We do, however, need about 10 working ones (guessing) to open the Ender portal we found in the stronghold.

For reference, here's the map the program I used gave me. Light green are plains, med green are forest, dark green are Taiga, olive green are swap, dark brown are extreme hills, and sand is obviously desert.

Oh, and the nearest Mushroom island is 250,y,3800 if anyone is curious.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5302/gnorlonia.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/gnorlonia.png/)

Fendruil
11-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Where is the map? I think you forgot to link it.

Drewbie
11-23-2011, 07:34 AM
I see it and I'm at work now. My guess is that your work computer blocks imageshack.

Also, Silverfish suck balls.

Fendruil
11-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Silverfish?

And you are likely correct in the blocking crap. Damn Big Brother!!!

I had another question about the new world. Will there be another world map like the one for the last world? More curiosity than anything as I have no clue how that is even done or how much work is involved.

Drewbie
11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Silverfish are little squirmy fish like things that crawl right out of the damned walls towards you. They are difficult to hit, quite fast, and just little bastards.

Oh, and through all my adventuring last night I managed to get to nearly level 20 for xp. I'm thinking I'll try for 30 before making a diamond sword and enchanting the shit out of it.

Gnorlin
11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
I had another question about the new world. Will there be another world map like the one for the last world? More curiosity than anything as I have no clue how that is even done or how much work is involved.It's processing now. The first run is always super slow on the map generator because it caches a lot of stuff but I'll try to run it every couple of days at least. The map should be available in a couple hours here:

http://minecraft.reebosak.net/omaps/ (you'll see the old world map until it updates)

Gnorlin
11-23-2011, 02:27 PM
There's an issue with some missing block types (primarily the new Stone brick) that I have to fix and I had to move the maps because the old map was showing up in areas not discovered on our current map.

http://minecraft.reebosak.net/gnorlintown

Murdoch
11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
So, did /give get included?

Drewbie
11-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Not yet.

I hope never

Gnorlin
11-23-2011, 07:14 PM
So, did /give get included?Bukkit is taking their sweet time releasing a version for 1.0. As soon as they release it, the people that want access to /give will have it.

nynnja
11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
server seems to be down :(

nevermind

no, there seems to be a problem

don't know what it was, but I guess it's ok

Gnorlin
11-24-2011, 04:39 AM
sometimes it seems like you can't connect, it seems to be a client issue rather than a server issue. Usually, restarting minecraft fixes the issue.

landolin
11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
when you start minecraft, go to multiplayer and hit refresh four times, then connect. That seems to allow me to connect every time.

nynnja
11-25-2011, 02:14 PM
now I tried restarting minecraft, my computer, and lando's trick of refreshing four times ... still can't connect. :(

Fendruil
11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
I just tried to get on and I am getting a Can't reach Server message so I think the server is truely down at the moment.

nynnja
11-25-2011, 02:45 PM
on the bright side I found a new creative mode in single player. you have a massive menu of all blocks and can fly, it's pretty amazing. oh yeah, and blocks are one shot with any item.

Dendrophilia
11-26-2011, 01:04 AM
K i made a small mistake with TNT that I thought to fix with more TNT… long story short there is a giant hole in front of my home and its full of water and mobs. I'm going to fix it tomorrow just too tired tonight. DONT FALL IN

Kyrin
11-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Well done sir

Drewbie
11-29-2011, 11:27 AM
K i made a small mistake with TNT that I thought to fix with more TNT… long story short there is a giant hole in front of my home and its full of water and mobs. I'm going to fix it tomorrow just too tired tonight. DONT FALL IN

I didn't fall in, but I stumbled upon it through a cave under my place. Hell of a hole you got there son.

Hope you don't mind I was in your hole.

landolin
11-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Hope you don't mind I was in your hole.
Mac is in the closet, apparently Drew is not

Gnorlin
12-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Bukkit finally released support for 1.0.0 So I installed that. I don't have time at the moment to set up multiworld so that's not in place. You should have give access to give with /giveme [item_id] If you want me to put you in a user group where you don't have access to give because you don't want it but can't trust yourself not to use it.

Drewbie
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I finished my cabin just now (home sick from work). If you climb up on the top of Fen's giant trap you can see it behind his mountain. I built it as a demo of the cabin I think my in-laws should build at their lake lot. It's tricky to build realistic stuff in relatively small scale in this damned game.

Drewbie
12-20-2011, 10:06 AM
So, with that Bukkit update, will that do anything to fix the map updates?

Gnorlin
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
The map not updating is just lazyness on my part mostly

Drewbie
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Since Nynny brought up the "End" of the game in another thread, I thought I'd let you all know that I'm working to kill Endermen and open the portal to "The End". I've got a full suit of Diamond armor (obtained legitimately) and a Diamond Sword I'm enchanting as I kill stuff. Once I have the portal open (I have 5 eyes to go), I will post when I am going through it with intentions of killing the dragon. I welcome anyone who wishes to join me.

Drewbie
01-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Server appears to be down.

Gnorlin
01-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Server appears to be down.Sorry about that, it should be back up now.

Drewbie
04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
My assumption is that it's been down again for a bit. My nephew had been playing on it still and told me it wasn't working a few weeks back, but I didn't follow up.

Gnorlin
04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah... sorry about that. Minecraft has kinda been off my radar for a while now. It was on minecraft version 1.1 still and I had to upgrade to 1.2.5

It's back up now, I think it had to do some converting of the world files because of the new format. It seems to have worked OK but I can't log in from work to verify. So if it doesn't look right, that's probably why.

Drewbie
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
I forget - was this server created before or after he came out with rivers?

Gnorlin
04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
after, I think