PDA

View Full Version : Should we have "/give" in New Gnorloinia?

nynnja
11-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Is it really Drew against everybody or does it just seem that way? Let's quantify the answer!

sheil
11-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't care one way or the other. If I have any plan to do anything like I did in the last world (If I am nuts) then I will be getting all the mats I need for anything else I would want to build anyway.

Macheath
11-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Here's my impression of you:

DIG EVERYTHING

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE

sheil
11-16-2011, 04:33 PM
That is because the place I was making was ....... wait for it................. UNDERGROUND

Macheath
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Did you finish it? Did you ever take some screenshots? I'm not sure I ever saw it in its most-completed state.

sheil
11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I got it somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 done I think. I never took screenshots because my laptop cries when I am in it and try to turn up my view distance. But you can go look at it if you like and maybe take some screenshots.

Fendruil
11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I looked at it and it was absolutely awesome! I can't imagine how long that took you though.

sheil
11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Neither you or I want to know that.

Macheath
11-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Give me a warp point or something, or remind me how to get there, and I'll try to find it tonight. Maybe I'll make a video just 4 u.

Drewbie
11-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Go to the spawn point then go to the castle with torches all around the door. Go down the steps past your place and go through the wooden room.

Macheath
11-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Can't connect to minecraft.net :wtf:

sheil
11-16-2011, 10:25 PM
go download it again. i had the same problem. there is a new launcher now

Macheath
11-18-2011, 01:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZYZqTTbaM

nynnja
11-21-2011, 06:46 AM
holy crap dude, I went in there before but you really dug a lot. and it's clear you were just digging from all the materials left laying around.

Drewbie
11-24-2011, 08:06 AM
I think you've gotta take me off the admin list. Everytime I see someone giving themselves something, I die a bit inside. I guess only admins get the message saying what someone gave themselves.

Watching "CONSOLE: Giving so-and-so some 116" etc. all morning just made me bitter.

Drewbie
11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Just one last thing I wanna say about this and I'll drop it:

If you look at those people that kept playing since the first server we had back in the day, we kept playing not because any of us where building some epic structure that really required having /give for it to work out and get built, but rather because we were working on building the type of traps and mechanisms that kept the game interesting past the initial "Let's build something huge and cool and made of solid diamonds and obsidian!"

Now, that's not to say that's the reason all of you want to have /give, but then this morning when I see that /give was turned on and the first person to use it immediately gave themselves a full set of diamond tools, an enchanting table, and a ton of wood while they stood in a forest surrounded by trees, well, come on. That's just lazy. Then to be asked to use my apparent admin rights to change it back to daytime since it wasn't convenient for them to stand around giving themselves stuff while it was night, well, I'm just not ok with any of that.

There's my last comment on this. If you guys seriously want to have /give because it makes things easier for you, then maybe we should discuss running a second server on Creative mode since that appears to be more in line with what it is you'd like to do.

landolin
11-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I think another minecraft instance with creative on is a very good idea

Gnorlin
11-24-2011, 03:44 PM
As soon as bukkit comes out I'll start up a creative world.

nynnja
11-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Drew, I get why you want to play that way, but I don't get why you hate other people using cheats so much. Would you feel better if anybody doing that just moved to another area so you can't see it?

And if we have this active apparently I missed the cut, can I get it so I have the option to defile Drewbie's idyllic game?

Fendruil
11-25-2011, 02:39 PM
To ask a noob question, what is a Creative world?

landolin
11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Creative turns off health and gives you an inventory with every object in the game. Its meant for building(creating) only without the adventure aspects to interfere with your building.

Gnorlin
11-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't have a problem with some people using /give and some people not, but it seems like maybe if all you want to do is build cool shit, creative mode is really what you want. You can have an unlimited amount of any kind of block without tedious typing and blocks gather instantly so you don't have to worry if your pick is going to break. It also gives you the ability to fly so you don't have to worry about falling off of the shit you're trying to build. Once bukkit is installed I'm going to create an alternate creative world that should be accesable via portal. In the "normal" world I'm still going to enable give. That should give most people what they want, except for drew. Sorry drew!

Kyrin
11-26-2011, 02:29 PM
I just think the idea of a town in survival is kinda cool

Drewbie
11-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Drew, I get why you want to play that way, but I don't get why you hate other people using cheats so much. Would you feel better if anybody doing that just moved to another area so you can't see it?

I guess, to me, it depends on what you're using /give for. The reason for wanting it, as I understood it, was to allow for quick access to tools and things so you didn't have to carve out an entire mountain in order to find enough diamonds to make a high quality pick axe. I have no issue with that as it makes sense for those who aren't playing it as often.

What bugs me is when someone is standing in a forest and doing /give for wood when they're standing there surrounded by wood. What's the point? Why are you playing on a world where the goal is collecting and surviving if all you want to do is get free building blocks to build whatever you want? There is a game mode for that and now Gnorlin is providing it for those that want to play that way.

nynnja
11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I guess I see your point, and I fully agree with your first paragraph. I have very limited free time I want to waste on this game and it could easily take me two weeks to get a diamond tool.

Hopefully Gnorlin can set up that creative world because that rocks!

Macheath
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
What bugs me is when someone is standing in a forest and doing /give for wood when they're standing there surrounded by wood.

I think we need to examine why this bothers you so much. What does it matter to you if I give myself 256 blocks of stone to build the eastern wall of my palace, as opposed to spending a couple hours digging up and baking cobblestone? Honestly, why do you care?

What's the point? Why are you playing on a world where the goal is collecting and surviving if all you want to do is get free building blocks to build whatever you want?

Presumably people like to play multiplayer games with other people. Why force me to log in to a different server when we can both have what we want in a single world? I'm going to visit your humble abode a lot less often if I have to log out and back in every time, and things will run less well in both worlds if there's two running in parallel than they would if there was only one.

If you're so desperate to have a pure experience of survival and harvesting, you can get that in single player. Why is the onus on literally everyone else to do things your way, and leave if they want something different?

If and when I find time to play, it will be on whatever world Gnorlin's got set up that gives me the most freedom.

nynnja
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM
clearly we all need something more useful to care about.

Drewbie
11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
You all paid the same as I did so do whatever you want. I was asked to clarify why I felt the way I did and I did so. We can all move on now.

nynnja
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
That will make the forums boring, can't you can Mac argue more?

Mac sent me a PM that said Drewbie has a small penis that makes his wife giggle. And Drew once told me Mac is gay.

Drewbie
11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
He's not?

Macheath
11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm in the closet. :shh:

Drewbie
11-29-2011, 03:40 PM
So no more talking about that night at your place when you got me drunk.

Got it.