PDA

View Full Version : Help a Minecraft know-nothing dad

RainMan
10-24-2012, 11:04 PM
So my 8 year old daughter and her friends want to play Minecraft together. I've seen enough videos on YouTube to get the general idea. The game itself seems just fine for an 8 year old. I've heard it compared to building with Legos. My daughter loves Legos, so great.

However, I've also heard that if you play on a public server there can be a lot of bullying and profanity, which isn't so great for an 8 year old.

Is there a way for my daughter to play with her friends that doesn't involve me getting a static IP, building a Linux server, and running my own Minecraft server?

She says that she's fine playing alone, so that's definitely an acceptable fallback, but I don't want to limit her to that unless it's necessary.

I ask you Minecraft veterans for opinions.

Macheath
10-25-2012, 01:03 AM
I believe you can run a server under Windows... only requirement is Java, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, some server admin somewhere.

Gnorlin
10-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Yeah you can run a mincraft server for free on your own computer. You'll probably need about 3GB of memory on one machine if you plan on running the server and playing on that machine. If your daughter's friend is playing at her house that shouldn't be a problem, you can connect through the IP and nobody on the outside internet should be able to find it.

I'm not sure about finding a kid friendly server but I'm sure if you do some interneting you could find some.

nynnja
10-25-2012, 05:41 AM
A friend helped me set up a virtual machine running a minecraft server so I could play and people could log in to the server from outside as well.

nyyx
10-25-2012, 06:29 AM
A handy guide (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/blocks-with-friends-how-to-run-your-own-minecraft-server/)

I built a bat file with the java string for a 5GB server that I've reused over the years. Helps for booting up/diagnosing connection/mod issues when you can reference the server log right there.

If the friends want to access the server over the web, provide them with the IP address of the system hosting it, and (if a router is between the machine and the web) make sure you have port-forwarding enabled for Minecraft (25565 by default). The only additional step you might want to take is adding the kid's login names to the whitelist file, and modify the server settings file to only work with whitelisted ID's.

Drewbie
10-25-2012, 06:50 AM
I sometimes miss playing Minecraft, but when I play by myself, there's just no joy in it. Part of what I liked was going around to visit others and see what they were making.

That and the giant group projects like the massive railways and such.

thumblewort
01-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Ok, I have some really n00b questions here. My almost 10 y/o wants to play, due to the Stampylonghead vids on Youtube.

1. It costs $27, is that a one time fee? Are there any other costs? Do you get multiple toons for that $27?
2. I see server mentioned above. Does it work like WoW where I am on Malygos, but my friend is on Uther, and we can't connect? Are there server names so if Zach asks a friend what server he is on that it is as easy as that?
3. Computer. I am still running WoW on my 8 y/o HP, with a few graphics issues, but otherwise ok. Will my machine run Minecraft?

Drewbie
01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
On the computer it's a one time cost to Mojang. On the XBox version, I think there are additional costs associated, but I don't play on that so I can't say for sure.

For multiplayer, you do need to have a server to play on. They're all unique like WoW servers so you'd have to all play on the same one. The multiplayer servers aren't hosted by the company that makes the game though. You either have to set up your own or find one online that's open to new players. There are literally thousands of them, but you should find one with rules that are a good fit for the age of your kids.

I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with your computer. Graphically it's not very intense. It does chew up quite a bit of memory though. You can increase performance by reducing your render distance though.

thumblewort
01-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it!

thumblewort
01-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Are there mulitple toons? I have 2 kids, would they have to create thier own worlds by paying twice?

Gnorlin
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
If they want to play together or at the same time, or if they want different player skins then they would have to each have an account. Otherwise they can share the same account with no problems.

thumblewort
03-18-2014, 09:41 AM
A new batch of questions!

1. Can MC be played on PS3?

2. If yes, and 2 accounts are made, can my kids play together if one is on the computer, and one is on the PS 3?

3. Ultra weird question - so, in October my oldest had a friend sleep over. Unknown to me, they were playing MC on the computer I play WoW on, the friend loaded a link and used his account info. So I have been trying to run the demo on the link the kid made, but it runs so slow that it is unplayable. Would a paid for account run differently, because they were playing MC at full speed 5 months ago with a paid for account.

Gnorlin
03-18-2014, 10:02 AM
1. No, there's an XBox 360 version of minecraft but to my knowledge you can't sign on to servers created for PC players, but I don't have first hand knowledge.
2. Nope.
3. I don't know, I've never used the demo version. It doesn't make sense that they would cripple the demo they're using to tempt new users. Minecraft is notorious for being poorly optimized though, so maybe some new feature is running poorly on your computer.

thumblewort
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
The machine is 8 years old, I am surpised it still runs WoW, let alone the MC that Zach's friend had over. I tried to get him to get the kids login so I could test my theory, but no dice.

Threnn
03-19-2014, 06:16 PM
There is a PS3 version of the game. Similar to the Xbox360 version you can play co-op on a split screen. The PS3 supports up to 4 at once.

Both console versions also support online multiplayer, but they work through their various proprietary networks (live gold vs psn). Thus you can't connect between console and pc.

Not sure about your question regarding the demo. Maybe uninstall and reinstall it. Or go to the minecraft site and see what is up. I tried the demo on my machine back in Dec and it worked fine. Played for ass on my son's laptop. Thus we got them a 360 and the game for xmas since that was way cheaper than building computers for it.

PS3 version:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/minecraft-playstation3-edition/cid=UP4433-NPUB31419_00-TRIALUPGRADE0001?smcid=psblog:minecraft-playstation3-edition:up4433-npub31419_00-trialupgrade0001:ps-blog-2013-12-17-minecraft-playstation-3-edition-out-today

thumblewort
03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Ok, sweet, PS3 may be the way to go. I hate buying old tech, but Isaac will be 9 in May and has hinted to wanting this. Anyone have a PS3 for sale?

Threnn
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM
This may not be your situation, but in my own experience my son went from being okay with just getting the game and playing coop on xbox 360 to wishing he could play online with other friends. Cuz, you know... kids... not happy since cabbage patch..

thumblewort
03-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Well, I'll revisit this with my wife, but the fact is that we have a perfectly fine laptop computer that I know runs MC (see above post with slumber party kid) but she won't allow the kids to get it because the computer is "hers". I agree that the computer version is best, but I am trying different angles to let the kids play.

Sooooooo, anyone wanna let me know their username and PW so I can do a test on my old computer?

Threnn
03-20-2014, 10:52 AM
I never bought the pc version. Only tried the demo. Sorry.

Drewbie
03-20-2014, 11:04 AM
I'll try to remember to send you a PM tonight. I don't recall what it is off hand and I can't check it from here.

thumblewort
03-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks man, I won't do anything, just a logon test.

zlordsahan
03-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Minecraft is written in Java. So make sure you have a recent version of Java and -more importantly- you have enough memory on that PC. An 8 yr old pc with 2 GB of RAM is not going to cut it.

thumblewort
03-22-2014, 06:04 AM
I have no idea how to even check how much RAM is on it, all I know is that 6 months ago some kid was playing it, and now the demo blows. Thanks for the Java tip.

thumblewort
06-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Ok, update. I have Minecraft for the PC loaded for one of my kids. My question now is, how does he play with other people? Right now he is making worlds, and getting bored with them pretty quickly. I have no idea how to play Minecraft.

Gnorlin
06-05-2014, 10:30 AM
You need to find him a server to play on. I recently came across http://www.intercraften.org/ as a family friendly minecraft server. I haven't actually used it myself but I've heard good things and it is free. I'm sure there are plenty of other free servers about if you do some googling.

thumblewort
06-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks man! So they have to accept me (Zachary my son) and then they give me a password or something?

Gnorlin
06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
I assume so, or maybe they whitelist your account.

gnod
06-07-2014, 09:06 AM
So looks like Minecraft added a new feature: Minecraft Realms (https://minecraft.net/realms). This might be an alternative

Macheath
06-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Oh wow, that's like a dream come true. If they have world backups and guarantee (close to) 100% reliability and uptime, holy shit. Running your own MC server is a huge pain in the ass.

Kyrin
06-08-2014, 08:39 AM
I was wondering why they never had "official" servers before...

thumblewort
06-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Still no reply from Intercraften, I'll look into it more.

thumblewort
06-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Hooked into Intercraften. Zachary was immediately bombarded by "change your skin" posts, then "change you skin or get booted", so I had to jump in and post "hold on, I'm his dad, I'll look into it". This after 2 minutes! So the good news is that it is a very safe server for young people. The bad is that they had my son almost in tears, as he had no clue how to change his skin on the fly. This was Saturday.

Of course now he just does Realms or Universe or whatever it is.

thumblewort
11-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Thank you all for your input. Zachary no longer needs my help ( he didn't after the first week) and is involved with several servers. I ignore the language on them and hope his mom doesn't seen it.