PDA

View Full Version : someone build me a minecraft server

Drewbie
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I've got old boxes and RAM and things laying around my house left and right. I want to play Minecraft on a server with my nephew and, hopefully, some of you guys again, but I don't want to pay some server hosting company to do it.

However, I'm server and non-windows retarded. I did set up a Windows server on my computer last night and it worked just fine, but it eats too much RAM to just leave it running on that machine while I do anything else.

So, is anyone local to the Twin Cities willing to take one of my old boxes and get a server humming along on it for me? In exchange I will either give you money or brew you a case of the beer style of your choice.

Gnorlin
11-30-2012, 10:51 AM
So no blowjobs then?

I might be able to come over this weekend and get you set up, if my wife approves. I'm sure she'll be happy to have our girls out of her hair for a couple hours.

My rate is $150,000 an hour.

Drewbie
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I will pay you for 1/10th of a second at that rate.

Also, I should probably dig out said old boxes and ensure that I haven't already scavenged the RAM for some other nefarious purpose.

nynnja
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
My work IT guy built me a VMware server. You literally just put the file on the desktop and run. The virtual machine runs on whatever Windows box you've got and everything is housed within it. I could send you a disk with the file. The nice thing is that it's all self contained. Nobody can get to the real hard drive, and if it breaks you just delete the file and copy a new one over. Just throwing that out there. Mailing the disk would probably only take a couple days.

Drewbie
11-30-2012, 01:12 PM
HOLD UP!

My buddy Jared apparently has a server at his house and he's just gonna put a Minecraft server on that instead. He used to play on the first Reebosak Minecraft world, but when we threw that away to start a new one while he was mid-project, then lost the next server when he was again mid-project, he decided that he didn't want to play anymore. Now, with him hosting it, it's on his head if the thing goes down.

I will update this thread once it's up, but I won't publicly give out the address here. Any of you guys that used to play are more than welcome to join me though. No grand plans for layouts or anything. Just having fun and building stuff.

Macheath
11-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah, uh, don't exhaust yourself on the whole Minecraft thing, okay?

desolation
11-30-2012, 01:59 PM
I am very interested in checking out all the changes that have been put in place. count me in

Drewbie
11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, uh, don't exhaust yourself on the whole Minecraft thing, okay?

Don't get worried about it. The biggest reason I want to do this is so I have a world my nephew and I can play in together. The other thing won't be set up in an environment I can count on to stick around.

Raid
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I never really played minecraft but Becca and I played quite a bit of Terraria, so I'd check it out.

Drewbie
12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Terraria is more goal oriented than Minecraft, but there's a lot similar between the two where if you like one, it's not too crazy to think you'd like both.

Macheath
12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I feel like it should be possible to have similar goals in Minecraft (okay now let's get gold armor! etc.) but there are definitely tiers in Terraria where you make very clear progression. Not necessarily the case in Minecraft, I guess.

Kyrin
12-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm feeling the Minecraft urge again.

I'm interested.