Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Work Thread

The Work Thread

Today was my last day at Yahoo! I figured it would be a day of sending out a few emails, deleting files, and generally running out the clock.

So I'm sitting in a meeting after lunch which, naturally, wasn't super relevant to me when my manager IM's me saying that I need to contact the CEO's assistant because the CEO wants to meet with me. Whaaaa??????

At this point I should say that I was on an internal email list for general banter among all the engineers at Yahoo! I am a fairly regular contributor to that alias both with protracted arguments with other engineers and general wisenheimer comments. The CEO reads that alias and even contributes from time to time. I sent a (somewhat cryptic) goodbye email to that alias this morning, so she saw it and wanted to know what was up.

I, of course, went to her office pretty much immediately and she met with me for something like 20 minutes. She wanted to know why I was leaving, what they could do better, and that sort of thing. I have to admit that I was a little starstruck so I didn't tell her the complete unvarnished truth, but I did discuss some things with her that I felt were important.

But, man, how about that? Did not see that coming.
    - Definitely

Whoah.

I totally ignore devel-random, for the record. Your celebrity is lost on me.

I'm a little starstruck reading your post.

Was she as attractive as Vanity Fair or whatever would have me believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    Was she as attractive as Vanity Fair or whatever would have me believe?
    Don't get me wrong, she's pretty and all, but it's different in person. She's obviously a very driven powerful person. She did have this odd cadence to her speech. She'd finish a thought, pause, and then keep speaking. That led to her talking over me three or four times. Toward the end of our meeting I finally started learning to wait a second or so before chiming into the conversation.
    - Definitely

Administrator
    I miss dev-random, i got so much joy out of that mailing list (and viking-table!) during my time at Y!. Now knowing that Marissa not only keeps up with dev-random, but even contributes from time to time gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, as that was honestly where a lot of really good feedback, ideas and discussion always seemed to be.

brb, buying some YHOO...

Administrator
    also, Ranney, don't forget to sing up for the external/alumni devel-random if you haven't yet. http://devel-random.org/ i think it's still active, although i haven't gotten an email from the list in ages. activity kind of started dying down a few years back. i think zawodny runs it? i forget

JR Conlin created that list. I signed up when he created it. It was active for maybe a year. It seems pretty dead now.
    - Definitely

I just heard about http://clientsfromhell.net/ Thankfully I don't deal with stuff like this regularly.

Clients are the worst. I'm not sure what sucks more, though: external clients that are your means to a paycheck, or internal clients you're absolutely obligated to work with no matter what.