Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The Work Thread

From what I understand of start up valuation and "% ownership" deals, it's VERY unlikely that by the time they actually sold your 0.5% would still be 0.5%. As I understand it, they often just issue more stock, or give some other people 0.5%, but in a way that makes the founder's 51% still 51% which means the other 49%'s shares all have to shrink to give the new guy some.

So, I guess, take consolation in the idea that they probably would have fucked you somehow. Or at least that's how I hear it tends to go with non-founder "shares."

Yup, also true. I'm sure they've been hiring and promoting up a storm in the past two years, and my offer wasn't really for a percentage, it contained an equivalent number of "shares" of pre-IPO "stock." If two years of activity magicked another million shares into existence (for other people at the company), my pile would not have grown commensurately.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but "having a baby" announcements are weird. Got one this morning at work. All I can think is good job successfully blowing your wad inside your wife! Maybe I'm simplifying too much.
    Another one this morning. This couple both work in my office. Good job porking guys!

At what point do you consider it OK for these people to tell you about their children? When they're born? When they're 5? When they've graduated highschool? At what point will you not think about their parent's fucking, Mr. Sex Pervert?

How about when it comes up in conversation?

"Hey, I saw Star Wars this weekend, what's up with you guys?" "We actually had a kid." "Oh cool, let's talk about your kid now!"

A company-wide email is not necessary. Your new kid doesn't change our work relationship, it's not valuable info. But it does make a nice conversation piece if you want to bring it up at lunch.

Could also be an important thing to bring up with your team, if you're going to be taking some time off. Like, I'll be gone for a month, paternity leave. Oh neat, paternity leave, congrats.

Administrator
    Oh, by the way, I don't think I ever said anything on here, but some of you *must* have realized it by now based on other social media stuff: We had kid #3, Finley, she's 6 months old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    At what point do you consider it OK for these people to tell you about their children? When they're born? When they're 5? When they've graduated highschool? At what point will you not think about their parent's fucking, Mr. Sex Pervert?
    Mac presents some reasoned thoughts on the topic. Advanced notice would be good for an impending absence, but the 12 week ultrasound announcement with cookies makes me think, "Hey, that means you had sex in mid-October, was that your wife's birthday? And now the fertilized egg has formed into a plum sized embryo. Congrats!"

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Oh, by the way, I don't think I ever said anything on here, but some of you *must* have realized it by now based on other social media stuff: We had kid #3, Finley, she's 6 months old now.
    Thank you for the appropriately timed announcement of a new human. May this new addition be a blessing on your life.

And congrats on fucking your wife for a third time!

I'm moving into the adjacent cubicle in my office. I made a standing desk using the cubicle pieces we have and that works well. The whole space is 8' x 10', but I only use about 4' x 10' for work stuff. Since I'm moving everything anyway I'm trying to figure out what to do with the other 40 SF of office I have sitting there. I was inspired by the attached image.

My two favorite themes so far...

a) A nice sitting area, wood paneling, fancy rug, high back leather chair, maybe an electric fireplace to complete the scene.

b) French cafe bistro table and chairs, maybe false brick panels, and some framed art prints. This might call for a canvas awning over head.

fancy_cube.jpg

I generally eat lunch at my desk, but not always while working so the lunch table is a tempting thought. It would be nice if the extra space were completely not work related.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    a) A nice sitting area, wood paneling, fancy rug, high back leather chair, maybe an electric fireplace to complete the scene.

b) French cafe bistro table and chairs, maybe false brick panels, and some framed art prints. This might call for a canvas awning over head.
    No.
    Attached Images Attached Images

See, I think that might be a little out of my price range.