Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The Work Thread

They've avoided me like the plague and I've applied to about 8 jobs. We'll see who gets back to me sooner.

Since I turned it in, they had a quarterly board meeting and a family business planning retreat. Can't say they haven't had opportunity to discuss it.

Well, good for you. If you've had it, the only bad outcome would be shrugging and sticking around with no changes at all. Good luck with the job search.

Interview today at 3:30. Over the phone, so lower pressure, but progress!

I just started a new job on Monday and I've begun the ceremonial Reading of the Intranet. My eyes are going to fall out of my head. Since the company handles secure data I have to go through a lot of training and it may be weeks before I even get permission to look at the source code.

I hate the ceremonial Reading of the Intranet. Intuit had (literally) multiple wiki pages with (literally) hundreds of acronyms for me to know. I still don't know 75% of them.

This thread bump has reminded me that I don't think we've gotten a new update from Drewbie yet?

I keep applying and only hear back from maybe 10% saying they are continuing their search without me. I had 1 interview, but it was to tell me they restructured the job to make it pay less.

Meanwhile, things keep getting shittier at work, but I have the liberating feeling that I don't have to really care about things that are bigger picture than my department so there's that. This Friday marks 6 weeks since I handed them my proposal and still haven't heard a peep.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I have the liberating feeling that I don't have to really care about things that are bigger picture than my department so there's that. This Friday marks 6 weeks since I handed them my proposal and still haven't heard a peep.
    They know how to maintain a disengaged workforce. :thumbsup:

Keep looking, you'll find something. You might have to settle for less money, but at some point you may find that compensation is no longer the biggest factor.

Money is a factor, but it's not the only one. I'm being picky because I have time. Really, I have it pretty good here in terms of being free to do what I want and not really having anyone pay any attention to me. If I didn't care about anything but getting a check, this place would be perfect. Sadly, I do care and it deeply pains me to see bad decisions being made that hurt the business and the people that work for them.

On a different work note ...

Apparently Mac's company is actively trying to fuck their customers as much as possible. Propublica has been researching the whole thing. I'm listening to an episode of Reply All about it right now.

Wow, Mac, did you squirm a little watching the CEO's special Newspeak video about how you're on the right side of things and how The Party is doing what's best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Wow, Mac, did you squirm a little watching the CEO's special Newspeak video about how you're on the right side of things and how The Party is doing what's best for everyone.
    I think you confused me with someone who even remembers his CEO's name. Sausage Goodyear? Samwise Gamgee?

The CEO of a company this size is really just the head of a cult of personality. I ignore absolutely everything that comes from that level, same as I did when Brad Smith was in charge, same as I did when I worked at Yahoo for Terry Semel Jerry Yang Carol Bartz Scott Thompson Marissa Mayer. (And yeah I had to look up some of those names.)

My life has nothing to do with Intuit or ProPublica. The politics are way above my pay grade. Those are mammals. I'm just a little germ living down here with my bacteria coworkers, handling tech I enjoy, earning money and gaining expertise so some day I can go to a smaller, different company that does something I do give a shit about.

The one place it does impact me is that I'm trying to publish a blog on the AWS Big Data site, and Intuit is hemming and hawing because of all the rotten PR out there right now. How will a blog post from an Intuit engineer be received? Tell you what, I don't give a fuck, the blog is well written lemme put it out there. Nope.