Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: The Work Thread

Normally I'm used to seeing articles about my company's products being relegated to the more obscure pages of automotive news like Trucks.com but apparently Jalopnik thought it was big enough news to write a blurb about it.

iYOXpB3.gif

Electric autos are all the rage! Get me an electric tank with which to conquer Iran!

I'm used to my Indian coworkers gushing over the latest Bollywood movie to play in the local theater, but today at lunch somebody mentioned "Crazy Rich Asians," and suddenly all my Asian coworkers were buzzing with excitement. Like, way out of character for some of them. They're legitimately stoked to see a movie about Asian people.

I probably said a couple insensitive things during the course of the conversation (as the only white guy at the table), but I get it. It's not like there's a ton of movies about Asian people, shot in English with a Hollywood budget and making waves in the US. Not since Jackie Chan, anyway. So like, even if this particular movie sounds like absolute shit to me, I understand the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    So like, even if this particular movie sounds like absolute shit to me, I understand the mood.
    You're so culturally sensitive.*

* Says the guy that lives in Downtown White People USA.

I think you're missing the point. From what I understand (I haven't seen the movie yet but I plan to) it's a completely "American" movie but with Asian actors. Meaning there is nothing in the movie that particularly addresses Asian culture or stereotypes. It's just another Hollywood comedy but with a full Asian cast.

Quote Originally Posted by zlordsahan View Post
    I think you're missing the point. From what I understand (I haven't seen the movie yet but I plan to) it's a completely "American" movie but with Asian actors. Meaning there is nothing in the movie that particularly addresses Asian culture or stereotypes. It's just another Hollywood comedy but with a full Asian cast.
    That's more or less what I meant to say with:

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    It's not like there's a ton of movies about Asian people, shot in English with a Hollywood budget and making waves in the US.
    Although now that I've looked the movie up and figured out what it's about, I'd be a little surprised if it didn't "address Asian culture or stereotypes" in any way. It's a fish-out-of-water "Princess Story" about an American girl going to Singapore for the first time.

Totally possible they don't get into any form of culture shock or traditions, but like I said, I'd be surprised.

But yeah, that's not the point. The point is it's Black Panther or Barbershop or a Madea movie, except for Asians. It's just a shame it had to be a romantic comedy about young people partying. Super duper not my thing.

One of the business units here has decided that the abbreviation for "Subject Matter Expert" (SME) needs a pronunciation. They have landed on /smi:/ (like "she"), and they are beyond-happy with themselves working it into conversations whenever possible. I have to be nice to these people.

And it's spreading...
    Last edited by liuv; 09-25-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Oh my goodness. I thought it was bad when the people at Intuit got me pronouncing AMI phonetically ("ah-me"). That drove me nuts for a while until I got used to it. Don't think I'd ever get used to SME ("smee").

What do they call the FBI?

Wear Mr. Smee cosplay to work every day until they stop. Make them stop.

Better yet, wear Sexy Mr. Smee to work and they will certainly stop.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    One of the business units here has decided that the abbreviation for "Subject Matter Expert" (SME) needs a pronunciation. They have landed on /smi:/
    That pronunciation is pretty common, especially in the "Big Three" and "Big Four" consulting world. For the longest time, one my clients was Price Waterhouse Cooper, (PwC), which is also staffed by a number of ex-McKinsey folks. They used SME all the time. When i was a young buck i worked at McDonald's and "SME" aka "smee" was what we called the Sausage McMuffing with Egg, so every time i heard SME i thought of the sandwich instead. I think i built up like a pavlovian response to the term, too, because i would always get a mad craving for one whenever we were talking about some consulting bullshit.