Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: The Work Thread

My only advice: don't under-bill. Drewbie is a friend so you'll be tempted to give him a break, but this is an official estimate he's putting in front of his Money Goblins at work, and it will result in an official contract and official 1099 employment, from the sound of things. If you do it for fifty bucks, that sets an unrealistic expectation for contractor work going forward, and Drewbie will be stuck working with his shitty IT department for all of eternity when the bosses realize they can't get contractors that cheap in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I'd like an estimate to proceed, then we'd sign a contract and work under whatever payment terms you'd need. If that's 50% down and 50% upon delivery or whatever, that's likely just fine.
    I'll get something to you by tonight.

Classically, RSU (stock) bonuses are one of the insidious ways companies keep you from leaving.

Great job these past 12 months, have an extra $25,000 in the form of stock that will vest in chunks over the next three years!

<does some quick internal math, accounting for taxes> "...so really, you're bumping my salary by roughly $5,000? Sounds good to me, boss!"

But you've got to stick around for the whole year. They're not boosting your salary, and you don't see these returns on your bi-weekly paychecks. If you make it the whole year, you get a big $5,000 lump sum... with another one the next year, and so on.

I'm not exactly sure why, but Intuit changed their vesting schedule for RSU bonuses. Instead of 1/3rd, 1/3rd, 1/3rd over the next three years... now it's spread over four years, and it vests quarterly. So it's more like 1/16th, 1/16th, 1/16th, 1/16th...

They done fucked up. Now, looking ahead, instead of seeing the big payday next summer, and instead of asking myself "can I make it another year?" because there's always that incentive on the horizon... I've got all these tiny, underwhelming incentives every 3 months. The compulsion to stick around is much lower. The barrier to exit ("golden handcuffs") isn't as insurmountable as it used to be. I wonder how much attrition they'll see as a result?

So a recruiter just the other day hit me up with a job opportunity. This happens somewhat regularly and, since I'm pretty happy with my current position, just ignore them. This new one though caught my eye.

It sounds like a startup but the recruiter didn't use that exact word in the email. The company is a,"VC backed company that designs and manufactures" mechanical assemblies and sub-assemblies for a particular industry based in Berkeley, CA. They're apparently going through series B. I've looked at the job listing and I'm definitely qualified (except for one area where they could possibly get on-the-job training to get things up to speed) but it would require me to move across the country and work for a much smaller company.

Do you guys have any experience with the smaller bay area companies and have any thoughts on whether I should seriously consider it or not? I'm thinking I'll probably apply and get an interview. Maybe they fly me out to see everything first hand but, if I'm being honest, it would take a lot to get me to move.

Quote Originally Posted by gnod View Post
    It sounds like a startup but ... "a VC backed company"
    Yeah, they're a startup.

Do you guys have any experience with the smaller bay area companies and have any thoughts on whether I should seriously consider it or not?
    You should apply and interview. If they don't bring you for an onsite at some point, it's a big no. If they do, then you're investigating them and their situation at least as much as they're investigating you. Don't be too shy to ask whether they're profitable yet, that's a big indicator of whether they're on the way up or down.

Moving for this job might be a mistake, unless there are more companies in the area you'd be interested in working for -- then you could use this as a gateway. I would consider moving to the bay area for a job, even if it wasn't a perfect fit, because the culture up there (at least in my industry) is to be job-hopping every two years anyway. And there's a shitload of opportunity. So I'd at least consider it.

Do you guys have any experience with the smaller bay area companies and have any thoughts on whether I should seriously consider it or not? I'm thinking I'll probably apply and get an interview. Maybe they fly me out to see everything first hand but, if I'm being honest, it would take a lot to get me to move.
    If you fall in love with the company, why not? However, you should first research what it costs to live in the Bay Area. You should also research what your commute might be like depending on where you move.

The Bay Area is *insanely* expensive. You won't believe what little 2 bed 1 bath apartments are going for. You should be certain that your salary is worth it in view of that expense.

Also, be careful how far away from work you might live. You don't want to wind up with a super commute of 90 minutes each way. It's about traffic, not distance. Google Maps has a nice feature where you can see the time it will take when you depart at a certain time of day.

A lot of people are leaving the Bay Area because it's so crowded and expensive. Be aware of that as you interview.
    - Definitely

Because of our interim company ownership transition we are now "Company - A Parent-Company Company" so I got a shiny new box of business cards to put in the drawer replacing the old box of business cards that was sitting in my drawer.

Do you guys still get business cards? Do you ever use them?

They gave me a box of business cards once. I think they spelled my name wrong and then I got a promotion like 6 months later so they were all obsolete. I kept them for like 8 years thinking maybe I'd do something with them. I never did.

Yahoo used to print boxes of customized business cards ("Darth Vader SME") for free. I got some and gave them to a few friends, but who the fuck needs a software developer's business card? Never had any since.

Yes I get them and yes I use them. I've never gone through an entire box before having a title change, but I've gotten close a few times.