Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Work Thread

Yesterday there was a major re-org at work.

Our new CEO eliminated my boss', his boss', and HIS boss' positions, created a new COO position, filled it with an external person, and then made my boss' boss' peer the head of "IT" (my boss'boss'boss' position) reporting to the COO. It's looking like they're planning to promote me and a peer of mine to supervise/manage(?) our teams that we are currently principal devs on. Three layers of leadership above the software development area gone in one change. People are a little freaked out.

Didn't follow that?

Before After
    CEO CEO
    VP Tech COO
    VP Director IS AVP Director TS
    Director Enterprise Systems Me?
    Me and my team My team

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Yesterday there was a major re-org at work.
    Hoo boy, I'm waiting for one of those. We've got a new CEO and CTO, and I assume they've been waiting for a chance to stamp their personal issues onto the company. Tax season's behind us, it's prime Ego Season, let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Didn't follow that?
    Jesus, no, not at all. But your table makes it look like you're getting a promotion, so congrats! Do you enjoy it?

I think we're supposed to be happy for you, if so, I am happy for you!

so glad I work at a small privately held company.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Ha ha . . . ha. . . *sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    ...your table makes it look like you're getting a promotion, so congrats!
    I think we're supposed to be happy for you, if so, I am happy for you!
    This MAY result in a promotion for me. I'm not sure. So far, I've been included in the "IST Leadership Group" along with the other Principal Dev. The guy who now reports to the COO is saying, "we don't know yet because I haven't even been able to talk to HR about what your guys' role will be...," which I think is the truth. You can't really plan all the successions ahead of time when you're removing 3 layers of leadership. What I'm being asked right now is to help the department breathe, process what just happened, and keep working, while the big bosses figure out what they will do with me. My boss was a Director. Does that mean I am going to be a director? Probably not, they have a Manager title that they use for people who have to manage people, but don't meet whatever a Director title means. If I become the boss of my team do I do that on top of my duties as Principal Dev? Can they afford for me not to be (I'm one of our most skilled/productive devs).

Compounding things: My senior dev's last day is tomorrow. I wasn't looking forward to helping my boss re-hire for that position. Now I might have to do it myself!? My wife works here and is already an IST Manager. The company has some rules regarding how closely spouses can work. I don't know if they kick in for being peers reporting to the same boss. I do know you can'rt report to each other. I don't know if I even WANT to be a Dev Manager, but I don't want them to default to the other guy just because I can't be a peer to my spouse (if that's even an actual rule).

This company is cheap and likes to screw people when they promote from within. Things like, "putting them at the absolute bottom of their new pay grade is already a 15% raise for them. That should be enough." Last year I FINALLY got a significant raise to be closer to market rate which was nearly a 20% raise. I'm already expecting them to say, "well you just got a Big Raise in November so you're not going to get one with this promotion." OR "We're going to give you the new title, expect you to do all the new work with no additional pay, and then come review time in October your raise will include the change in pay for the promotion..." These are the things they've done to other people. I certainly don't plan to just accept that. More duties equals more pay in my mind. And the more money starts when the more duties do and vice versa. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy to remain the Principal Dev on this team and/or hear about the severance package.

So, I'm not sure if congratulations are in order yet or not, but I am kind of proud of the fact that one: I wasn't part of the fallen, and two: I'm at least somehow in consideration as part of the replacement of this company's software development manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Do you enjoy it?
    I enjoy the problem solving of the work I do. As long as I can still participate in that I think I'll be happy.

We're a mutual insurance company so our shareholders are our policy holders. So while not privately held, also not openly traded on any market. Gotta buy a policy to be an owner. How small are you talking? We are 400 - 550 employees depending on how you count (Technically a holding company holding 5 companies...)

We're a small engineering design firm of 70 +/-. I know most everyone, and we're all high functioning adult engineer types so it's a pretty low drama low stress environment.

Our president is 51% shareholder (3 others hold the 49%) and he's within 5-10 years of retirement so we'll see what happens then. A couple of us have talked about making a pitch for employee ownership. I'm afraid the president could sell us to a larger firm and we'll become a satellite office to a national corporation, which would suck.

Turned in my 3 page letter laying out significant problems facing the company and my proposed path forward. Gave it to them and told them to take their time reading it and that I look forward to discussing the contents when they are ready.

So I've applied to 3 jobs in the past couple days. We'll see what happens next I guess.

"We're not sure we like--"

"ok cya"

Yea, that pretty much sums up my plan.

It's been a couple weeks, Drewbie. Did they like your plan or did they tell you to fuck off?