Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Work Thread

I bought Tata Motors a couple years ago for $25 a share. Closest I've come to feeling like Warren Buffet.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Well, they're closing down my remote office again, laying off the entire local workforce. A select few are getting relocation deals, but I don't expect to be one of them; seems like they're reserved for management and the most recent hires (who are, in theory, more in-line with Yahoo's current hiring practices and philosophies).

Time to schedule a physical, an eye exam, and anything else medical I can think of in the next month!

Also time to brush up the résumé. I think that prospective employers will be impressed with my ability to type résumé.

If any of you have any neat ideas for startups or games, now's the time to pique my curiosity. I'm a tired old programmer with a wealth of experience, and I'll have nothing but time to dedicate to a project shortly.
    sending you a PM

I spent some time this weekend playing video games.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some say not to burn bridges when leaving any job, but sometimes, it's gotta feel oh so good:

Some higher ups probably need a new video monitor now.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

[vent]

I design bridges. Big and little slabs of reinforced concrete that span tiny streams up to large rivers. Of course all this work is on tight budgets so we do a lot of rehabs too. That old chunk of concrete will still be a strong chunk of concrete for 100 years so we tear off the deck and put a new deck on the old concrete. It works great and saves piles of money. But gol'durn'it sometimes you need to just blow up the old thing and build a new one because it ain't worth savin'.

[/vent]

Who determines when it is blowing-up time? Do you personally perform visual inspections?

I do inspect, but mostly design. Decision makers vary, but generally not me. This discussion has happened already, I'm just hoping when we submit preliminary plans somebody will see the light and give the go ahead to start from scratch. The final structure will be about 2/3 new and 1/3 old and the old will be a silly mess. And the final cost probably won't be 2/3 of the new cost because of the hassle of mating the new thirds with the old crap.

Let's see if I can analogy: "Mac, please rewrite this program from ten years ago, we want to keep most of it, while changing the user interface and the output. Also the new stuff has to be written using these new updated parameters, but it has to work with the existing code." "Re-using that old code will save money!"

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Let's see if I can analogy: "Mac, please rewrite this program from ten years ago, we want to keep most of it, while changing the user interface and the output. Also the new stuff has to be written using these new updated parameters, but it has to work with the existing code." "Re-using that old code will save money!"
    Hey, I just got done with a project where I did that! Except the added bonus that nobody knows how the 10 year old system really works. (really it was only 3-4 years old but the analogy stands)

The lady who has been my inside sales person for the 7 or 8 years I've been doing this is retiring today. She's been with the company just shy of 12 years. Prior to that, she was the purchasing manager for another company. While in that role, she agreed to keep her business with our founder when he decided to split off from his former employer to start this company. When her company was bought and shut down, he brought her on because he knew just how good she was.

Each day, she saves the plastic bags that the newspaper comes in so she can reuse them as poop bags for her dogs. She's also been getting a bit forgetful and doing the typical older person thing of misplacing her glasses all over.

At her going away party, the current owners (daughters of the founders) gave her a box full of dog shit bags since she couldn't have the ones from the paper anymore, and a 3 pack of reading glasses.

And a cake.

If they don't give her something else before she walks out the door, I hope she takes a steaming pile on their desks.