Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Steam only lists around 1100 titles that work on OSX. Unless you mean running Windows in a VM, then games inside that? I've always wondered what kind of performance hit that imparts.
    On my macbook pro running a game in windows on a VM is out of the question. Far too laggy. I do have windows installed in bootcamp and when I boot into the windows install everything runs just as it would on a windows laptop.

This is insanely awesome, especially for those of us in their late 40s . It's a long video but is packed with precious computer history beside Jobs' speech. http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/26/s...c-launch-video

Kinda funny to see Bill Gates talk about how Microsoft is adopting the Macintosh platform, when we know that behind the scenes he's developing Windows.
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    why are people obsessed with these fetishistic unboxing videos?

Forgive me, Father, for I have Appled.

My work computer is now a Macbook Pro (15" Retina) because the allure of a BSD-based operating system with built-in terminal (and so forth) was finally too great to resist. I could do all the same virtualization and bash-centric stuff in Windows, but it was more of a pain in the ass. I'm hopeful that the Macbook will be an interesting tool in the coming weeks, as I slowly get over how god-awful the keyboard shortcuts all are.

Also, I clearly need to learn to use this "Preview" piece of scum. Look what it did to my picture, looks like it was taken with a dog's ass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Bravo! Welcome to the dark side.

Honestly, any developer who isn't using a mac in this day and age is doing it wrong (well, i mean, unless they are specifically writing Windows apps :P). It's just so much easier to have that handy BSD terminal to use, plus i honestly think that the development tools now available for OS X vastly out number those available for Windows.

are you in Java land?

here's some apps you should look at that I use on a daily basis and can't imagine living without anymore:

Sublime Text incredibly fast text editor with a very good plugin selection - install Package Control to make it a zillion times easier to get / manage plugins
    Git Tower please tell me YHOO has switched to Git by now, please, please, for the love of god. every time somebody commits to svn Jesus kills a puppy
    Textual IRC client. definitely the best IRC specific client on the OS X. there are other thinks like Adium and crap that also support IRC, but they suck major donkey balls doing it
    Mou If you guys use Markdown files for code documentation and README files and such, this is the best editor/previewer out there
    iTerm don't even bother with the built in Terminal.app, iTerm is the shit, it's so much better

What's with the plaguemouse?

I have 0% input on my dev machine so I'm stuck on windows until at least the next refresh. I'm sure as hell not going to spend my own money on a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    What's with the plaguemouse?

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Bravo! Welcome to the dark side.
    I'm just gonna point out that Apple used to be considered the light side of the force, what with "Apple Jedi" and all.

The dark side was Windows. (the Dos side, heh)

I know, I know... it is cool to dress in black and pretend to be bad. I used to go to dance clubs with people like that.

Also the devs in my "bastion" (where I recently went back to work) use some linux of the mint flavor. Only the suits at the top try to use apple products. "Help... I can't sync my contacts!"

Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    Also the devs in my "bastion" (where I recently went back to work) use some linux of the mint flavor. Only the suits at the top try to use apple products. "Help... I can't sync my contacts!"
    I worked at a small device company for a few years, where all the useless blowhard do-nothing fuckwit managers had Apple shit while the few managers who actually got shit done used PCs like us working peasants. I've never not known a douchebag who uses Apple, like some holier than though being.

I know nothing about the programming thing, but for actually doing a Job everyone I've never know that gets shit done uses PCs.
    How many times must this fool die?
    -Morte