Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Honestly, any developer who isn't using a mac in this day and age is doing it wrong (well, i mean, unless they are specifically writing Windows apps :P).
    I treat(ed) Windows as a glorified IDE and email machine. Eclipse, IntelliJ, Outlook, Chrome, and Putty were almost all I used (plus Cygwin, Git, WinSCP, and other stuff on a try-not-to-have-to-use-it-too-much basis). I have a RHEL box I use(d) for builds and testing. Just hoping the Macbook buys me some ease of use and consolidation. Most of the other guys on my team have them already, so I was increasingly finding myself behind the times.

It's just so much easier to have that handy BSD terminal to use, plus i honestly think that the development tools now available for OS X vastly out number those available for Windows.
    That's possible. Windows development tools have certainly been decreasing in number and quality, from what I can tell.

are you in Java land?
    Yes, and PHP land, and C++ land, and Hadoop land, and several other lands. But Java land as well.

Sublime Text incredibly fast text editor with a very good plugin selection - install
    Somebody set me up with TextMate yesterday, and then somebody else immediately piped up with "NO USE SUBLIME TEXT." I'll have to give it a shot, that's two developers I trust recommending it now.

Git Tower please tell me YHOO has switched to Git by now, please, please, for the love of god. every time somebody commits to svn Jesus kills a puppy
    Oh come on, SVN's not that bad. But yeah, we're... well, half on Git now, at least on my team. Our new stuff is all in a corp GitHub. We're still on SVN with the old. We could have a whole thread about things to like and dislike about Git (like: pull requests; dislike: no revision numbers; like: local repo; dislike: is like Maven to SVN's Ant... too much process and "convenience" buttered over the top of bare functionality for my taste).

Textual IRC client. definitely the best IRC specific client on the OS X. there are other thinks like Adium and crap that also support IRC, but they suck major donkey balls doing it
    I was looking for a good mIRC replacement. Yes, I was still using mIRC.

iTerm don't even bother with the built in Terminal.app, iTerm is the shit, it's so much better
    I'll take a look. But as mentioned in the Git-versus-SVN paragraph above, I tend to prefer bare functionality. The more bells and whistles you starting adding to something, the less I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    What's with the plaguemouse?
    Badge of honor, bitch. This mouse has been with me for 8 years. Also, it keeps other people out of my cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    I've never not known a douchebag who uses Apple, like some holier than though being.
    This is a confusing sentence. Do you mean that all douchebags use Apple, or all Apple users are douchebags? Or maybe you just mean that at every point in your life, there has been a douchebag somewhere using an Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    I know nothing about the programming thing, but for actually doing a Job everyone I've never know that gets shit done uses PCs.
    The platform is overrated. You can do programming in any environment, but most of the time it boils down to what will run and perform on Linux/BSD. So why not develop on a platform closer to Linux/BSD? I wouldn't want to use a RHEL desktop, and I wouldn't want to forgo my GUI entirely, but OSX does at least cut out the middle-man to some extent by being based on BSD.

Douchebags typically use Apple, not that Apple users are typically douchebags.

My next quoted point is only that in terms of software users, business gets done on PCs not Apples. I dunno what it gets programmed on, and am not commenting on that subject.
    How many times must this fool die?
    -Morte

At my work I'd simply move to an apple machine just so I can use a 64 bit machine with 4 gigs of memory. We are all hit over the head with the same 32 bit win7 image. Good luck doing anything server related with 3 gigs of mem. (They expect everyone to use their "garden of eden" vde environment which is more like the "pits in hell")

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
    At my work I'd simply move to an apple machine just so I can use a 64 bit machine with 4 gigs of memory. We are all hit over the head with the same 32 bit win7 image. Good luck doing anything server related with 3 gigs of mem. (They expect everyone to use their "garden of eden" vde environment which is more like the "pits in hell")
    I feel for you, I spent the last year or so of my 32 bit windows-xp machine juggling applications and having to choose which 2 applications I wanted running at any one time. I have 16GB now and I have no idea how much shit is running because it doesn't matter anymore, wheee!!

UPDATE: Sublime Text is awesome. iTerm hasn't sold me yet. But Sublime Text is great, if I knew how to uninstall anything I'd uninstall TextMate.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    if I knew how to uninstall anything I'd uninstall TextMate.
    browse your way to the Applications directory, drag TextMate to the trash can. done.

Administrator
    ooh, i just thought of a few more invaluable apps i use:

Alfred - keyboard shortcuts for everything in the universe. never use your mouse again not really, but seriously, it will save you so much time Alfred is free, so install it now and start using it. for additional super handy features, you will probably want to shell out the 17 for the powerpack add-on at some point

1Password - fantastic password manager, generator, and overall important account information vault thingy. They just released a new major update and have it on sale for 50% off right now. You can also get iDevice versions and set up password syncing and stuff like that which is very handy.

Fantastical - natural language processing calendar toolbar thingy. interfaces with Calendar.app/Google Cal, etc. instead of filling out cumbersome forms to add meetings and shit to your calendar, you just type in "Meeting with Joe next thursday at 3pm in Sunnyvale" and it adds it all to your cal. also does reminders and stuff too. sounds simple but i actually find it incredibly useful

Arq - real-time offsite backups. i use it to push backups to my Amazon S3 account. much easier than hooking up a USB drive and having Time Machine, or whatever the fuck it's called, handle backups.

Navicat Premium Essentials - definitely the best SQL GUI i've found for OS X, connects to all the interesting stuff - MySQL/MariaDB, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL

(come to think of it, you can likely expense most of the software i've suggested)

Administrator
    If any of you use Mailbox.app on your iOS device, you may be interested to know that they are working on an OSX version as well. If this interests you, then you may be even more interested in knowing that I have three 'betacoins' to hand out. If you are interested in Mailbox.app, and are also interested in Mailbox.app for OSX, and are also interested in using the beta, and are also interested in getting a beta invite 'betacoin' then message me with your email address and i'll send one your way, if you are interested.

Alfred - keyboard shortcuts for everything in the universe. never use your mouse again not really, but seriously, it will save you so much time Alfred is free, so install it now and start using it. for additional super handy features, you will probably want to shell out the 17 for the powerpack add-on at some point
    Now that I'm starting to get used to the OSX interface, it's time to re-evaluate Alfred as a possible addition...

1Password - fantastic password manager, generator, and overall important account information vault thingy. They just released a new major update and have it on sale for 50% off right now. You can also get iDevice versions and set up password syncing and stuff like that which is very handy.
    TOO 'SPENSIVE! Plus it would have a ton more utility if I had a Mac at home, which I do not.

Fantastical - natural language processing calendar toolbar thingy. interfaces with Calendar.app/Google Cal, etc. instead of filling out cumbersome forms to add meetings and shit to your calendar, you just type in "Meeting with Joe next thursday at 3pm in Sunnyvale" and it adds it all to your cal. also does reminders and stuff too. sounds simple but i actually find it incredibly useful
    I just avoid scheduling meetings. Works like a charm!

Arq - real-time offsite backups. i use it to push backups to my Amazon S3 account. much easier than hooking up a USB drive and having Time Machine, or whatever the fuck it's called, handle backups.
    Eh, one of my coworkers set up Time Machine for me on the day I got this thing, and I haven't looked at it. Some day maybe it will save me from an explosion. But I tend to push my stuff up to github regularly anyway. When I quit this job and start working on a personal project, I will need a place to backup my code and assets, and on that day... well, I'll probably have to find a Windows equivalent of Arq. But still, looks neat.

Navicat Premium Essentials - definitely the best SQL GUI i've found for OS X, connects to all the interesting stuff - MySQL/MariaDB, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL
    I've been using Sequel Pro because it's free.

(come to think of it, you can likely expense most of the software i've suggested)
    You're probably right, maybe it's time to circle back and check out 1Password.

If any of you use Mailbox.app on your iOS device, you may be interested to know that they are working on an OSX version as well. If this interests you, then you may be even more interested in knowing that I have three 'betacoins' to hand out. If you are interested in Mailbox.app, and are also interested in Mailbox.app for OSX, and are also interested in using the beta, and are also interested in getting a beta invite 'betacoin' then message me with your email address and i'll send one your way, if you are interested.
    A) I'm an Outlook monkey. B) Yahoo has begun requiring us to use Yahoo Mail for our corp mail. C) I'm still an Outlook monkey. D) I'd love to show off Mailbox.app to my Mac-head coworkers and make them all jealous, but E) I'd probably get fired for not using Yahoo Mail. F) Just kidding, I still use Outlook because G) I'm an Outlook monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    B) Yahoo has begun requiring us to use Yahoo Mail for our corp mail..
    Geez, finally. It's about time. They've been paying lip service to that one for years.
    - Definitely