Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Car Buying Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I found a Leaf that checks all the required boxes for me ...
    How many boxes are we talking here? Are there no Leafs that check boxes within 100 miles of you? Shouldn't "can actually obtain car" be one of the boxes?

I don't want one older than 2013 which is the third model year, it would be nice if it was under 30,000 miles, and I don't want to overpay, duh. There have only been about 100,000 total sold in the US as of December 2016 so there aren't a lot of used ones to be had. Compare that to Toyota selling 430,000 Camrys in 2015 alone.

Energy economy is the issue as I see it...
    1. 2013/14 they improved the batteries in the whole line
    2. 2013 top trim (SL) model has the "heat pump" vs. "resistance heater" which improves efficiency 25%
    3. 2013 SL and 2014 SV/SL have LED vs halogen headlights, again more efficient
    4. 2013 SV/SL has more aggressive regenerative breaking to recapture more energy
    5. SV/SL models generally have the higher level charging capabilities (some other models have them as options)

There's math to be done here, but of 100,000+ total sold over six years, using only 2 of those years, limiting to the top or top two trims, limit to 250 miles around me, etc ... over the last three months I've found about 6 that fit the bill and only 2 are currently available. The other one is in Minneapolis and it's got 35,000 miles, but it's cheaper.

Proceeding ... trying to line up all the pieces now ...
    transport vehicle: check
    loan pre-approval: check (yes, I have to finance a small amount, should get paid off this year)
    sale of existing vehicle: negotiating
    purchase price of new vehicle: negotiating fixed
    terror of leaping into unknown territory: HIGH

EDIT: Apparently "internet pricing" is a hard number. Oh well, it's not out of line with other prices and I'm ok with it.
    Last edited by nynnja; 05-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Going to pick it up Saturday.

omg omg omg

did you check the carfax

Congrats. I'm stuck waiting no less than 8 months until our van is paid off before I can get my Volt. I'm a little obsessed with it, I'm keeping an eye on what vehicles are available, and the current ones will probably all be sold in 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    ... the current ones will probably all be sold in 8 months.
    And there will never be any more!!!

Of course there will be new ones. It's interesting though that the prices of used Leafs are going up! Like by about $1K-2K over the last six months. A local dealer I've been talking to said he now sees them at auto auctions for more than he was selling them for on his lot.

9 months might be a good time though because the new Leaf model with double mileage will be out, and the first Tesla Model 3s & Chevy Bolts will be on the road. So early adopters of the Leaf are likely to trade up to newer shinier vehicles.

I'm not being all gloomy about the Volts disappearing. It's just there's no point to picking a car out of the current crop when I'll have a whole new crop to choose from in 8 months. I guess I'm hoping I'll be able to track a car I want and go in and say "I know you've had this car for 8 months, you better give me a discount."

Ah, I see your angle. Yes, that is a good plan. www.cargurus.com is nice because they tell you the number of days listed. Other sites probably do too, but it seems prominent there.

Good luck!