Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Car Buying Thread

I'm seriously thinking my next car will be a Chevy Volt. I'm just not ready to have a car that I cannot take on a long trip if I need to but my normal use case will keep me on battery power 100% of the time. I'm trying to wait until the 2018s come out and hopefully the 2016s will come down in price a bit. I haven't test driven one yet so I may still decide that I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I'm just not ready to have a car that I cannot take on a long trip if I need to
    I hear ya. We are a two car household so we will still have our Honda Pilot gas guzzler. I could see us becoming a two electric house with a Bolt or future longer range Leaf. The way I see it, if you want to take a road trip just rent a car or swap with a friend/family. I think I can name half a dozen people who would swap their ICE for my electric.

We have a Toyota Sienna as well. And I can only think of two times in the last 5 years where I needed to go more than 40 miles in a day, but I just don't think I can make the leap to depending on that trend. Also I don't have any friends to borrow a car from

If you're interested in a volt/bolt I might be able to get you an employee discount. I say "might" because it requires me to convince my friends who work at GM to give me a code(s) for strangers people I met over the internet

I can't really afford a new one, but thanks to the rebates used ones are pretty reasonable.

.. but I just don't think I can make the leap to depending on that trend.
    Read this guys blog, it might give you some perspective. That's just the first of many articles about his ownership experience. Plus he lives in a comparable climate to yours.

I've done some research on the range of the Leaf, the price difference between a Leaf and comparable Chevy Volt, and the price of a rental car and it's seeming to me that maybe the Leaf is the way to go after all.

That's the point I got to as well. I can come up with several scenarios where "it doesn't work", but it's a grand total of 0.001% of my driving so finding a work around is worth while.

If you're really shopping for a Leaf you're in luck because you live close to a Nissan dealer who really deals in them. http://www.wayzatanissan.com/ They have about 30 used in stock at any time, and new of course. When I'm searching 250 miles away those often come up as some of the best deals over Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison. And no other dealers in the midwest seem to have as large a stock as them.

Also of note...
    http://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/
    http://ecomento.com/2015/03/19/buyer...d-nissan-leaf/

Make sure you do your homework and decide which model to buy. There was a big jump in efficiency for some components in the 2013 models, which got applied more broadly in the 2014 models. I had it in my head that I wanted a 2014 SL, but now I don't remember the specifics of why. I think it was the heater and LED lights mostly.

I've done some research on the range of the Leaf, the price difference between a Leaf and comparable Chevy Volt, and the price of a rental car and it's seeming to me that maybe the Leaf is the way to go after all.
    http://www.edenprairienissan.com/inv...az0cp5dc416512