Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Buying Thread

I've settled back on getting a Chevy Volt instead. On a day to day basis my commute is short enough that I'll be effectively driving an EV, even given the shortened ranges reported during the coldest months. I changed my mind based on what my wife's response was to getting the Leaf. My parents are getting up there in age and it's possible they may die sometime in the next 5-10 years. They live 180 miles away (in Superior) which I just can't reach driving the Leaf, there's one charging station and it's not close enough to Superior to reach it even if I get max efficiency on the battery. I've read up on rental cars and they can be quick to rent IF you register days before hand and it's a planned thing, but it can take hours to get one if you just walk in. The other option is to take everyone, but it takes at least an hour to get the kids packed, if they're cooperating. Both my wife's parents deaths have been a situation where she had to get there ASAP just to have a chance to say goodbye to them. It seems like such a small thing to make a big decision on. And it's possible they'll die in their sleep, or from surgery or they won't even live in Superior anymore when they go.

That's cool, it's not a silver bullet for everybody, it's probably still a stretch for me. I hope your parents don't die!

How about you just go buy that car for me? kthxbai

OK but I can only drive to Elk Mound on one charge so you'll have to meet me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    It seems like such a small thing to make a big decision on.
    A car -- and especially the choice between a Leaf or a Volt -- is not that big of a decision. I'd say being close to your family, and being able to reach said family in an emergency, is maybe a bigger deal than you're making it sound.

If you can get to me, in the event of a parental illness, you will have a vehicle available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    If you can get to me, in the event of a parental illness, you will have a vehicle available to you.
    I appreciate that. I can also see that exchange taking at least as long as wrangling my children into our Van.

Also, related side note: Drewbie is moving to Tanzania

I found a Leaf that checks all the required boxes for me ... and it's in La Crosse. There is no way for me to drive this car home in less than 2 charges so I'll have to trailer it.

My wife is being supportive so now I need to figure out how to proceed.

Have them throw in delivery?

Or if it's an official dealership they can probably transfer it to another one near you.

I think it depends if I try to take a trade with me. Then I could just trailer something each way. It's a pain but I'd rather touch the car before I sign the papers so I'll probably do the transport.

I'm nervous that I finally found what I'm looking for because now I have to do something or drop it.

Also I'm not sure if I should trade or sell my other car. I had a friend that was interested but I've also heard that you should never sell to a friend.