Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Square Enix

  1. #1
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,998

    Square Enix

    I don't have any fond memories of Enix. Of course they're known for the Dragon Warrior series, but I never played that. I did play Act Raiser, Illusion of Gaia, Ogre Battle, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Mischief Makers -- more Enix titles than I thought, actually -- but I never associated those with Enix, the company. Enix and I did not have a relationship.

    Squaresoft and I, however... we did. FF6, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger were the holy trinity of my formative years. I just bought Bravely Default for the 3DS, which is a "spiritual successor" to the Final Fantasy series. I have emotional ties to Final Fantasy to this day, even though FFXIII was (beautiful) garbage. They did a good job selling me on that shit when I was 13.

    Anyway, at the moment, the point of this post is that I found myself wishing FF9 would get an HD remake on PC, like FF7 and FF8 have on Steam right now. It will probably never happen. Buuuuuut, there's this little thing called The Last Remnant that looks an awful lot like FFXII. I should try that out the next time I see it go on sale.

  2. #2
    I actually loved the mechanics in FF8. It allowed for customization and usually a constant challenge with the monster levels. It also allowed you to build the top weapons for pretty much all the characters before you finish disc 2, if you knew what to do.

    Also anyone try out the new ff13-3 or whatever it's called?
    Oooh, shiny!

    Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,191
    FFXIV is 50% off on steam. That said it is an mmo, but I've heard/read decent things about it (after they spent a couple years redoing it).

  4. #4
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,998
    Yeah, supposedly they gave it a huuuuuge overhaul and it's quite good now. Maybe I'll take a look at some point, if there's a free week or something.

  5. #5
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,998
    What is the current State of Final Fantasy? Not terrific, if the XIII trilogy is any indication. I hold out hope for Bravely Default and whatever happens with FFXV (they're finally taking the reins away from the weird fetishist who's been in charge for the last few games, and handing FFXV over to the guy who does Kingdom Hearts).

  6. #6
    Which kills turn based battles, which makes me very sad.
    Oooh, shiny!

    Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

  7. #7
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrin View Post
    Which kills turn based battles, which makes me very sad.
    Why would you assume the involvement of "the guy who made Kingdom Hearts" means "Final Fantasy will now be Kingdom Hearts"?

    "The guy who made FFT" was in charge of FFXII as I recall, and that didn't turn Final Fantasy into hardcore turn-based strategy.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Why would you assume the involvement of "the guy who made Kingdom Hearts" means "Final Fantasy will now be Kingdom Hearts"?

    "The guy who made FFT" was in charge of FFXII as I recall, and that didn't turn Final Fantasy into hardcore turn-based strategy.
    It's more along the lines of how they actually did announce a while back of the removal of the turn based battle system by saying that FFXIII-3 will be the battle system they will focus on using now, which is live action battles.
    Oooh, shiny!

    Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

  9. #9
    Darth Small Macheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrin View Post
    It's more along the lines of how they actually did announce a while back of the removal of the turn based battle system by saying that FFXIII-3 will be the battle system they will focus on using now, which is live action battles.
    well I don't like that

    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    (they're finally taking the reins away from the weird fetishist who's been in charge for the last few games, and handing FFXV over to the guy who does Kingdom Hearts).
    Though really, in my opinion, what this series needs is a new designer. The boys just keep getting girlier, the girls have transcended angelic beauty, and the outfits all look like a Brazilian parade. Can we come back to reality, just a bit, please?

  10. #10
    I agree. I blame FF7 for starting the girlyman trend
    Oooh, shiny!

    Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •