Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Financial Independence

True. It'll all work out ok in the end.

I've seen a bunch of FIRE "flavors" popping up on reddit, and I wasn't 100% sure what they all meant. Here's what I figure:

• FIRE: Financially independent, retired early. The "FI" concept is more core to FIRE than "RE," frankly, because having enough money that you can retire doesn't always mean you do retire. You might continue to work because you love it. You might scale back at your current job, work fewer hours. You might take a lower-paid job that you're more interested in. You might go into business for yourself. Or, you might sit on the couch for the rest of your days. Up to you!
    • CoastFIRE: You have enough saved to cover "traditional retirement" at 62+ without needing to save any more (thanks to compounding growth). You can take a lower-paid job to cover your expenses between now and retirement.
    • BaristaFIRE: You have enough saved to go into semi-retirement now. You can take a lower-paid job to supplement your investment income.
    • LeanFIRE: You have enough saved to retire now on a very frugal budget.
    • FatFIRE: You're loaded. What the point of tracking this as a separate concept? I don't know. It just means "rich person."

MMM just covered this. I didn't read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    MMM just covered this. I didn't read it yet.
    Well thanks for that, I fell down an hour-long hole of reading articles.

EDIT: This Schiller PE Ratio chart makes for incredible viewing. It's a 150-year view of the stock market, and it since it's a ratio, you don't need to think about inflation or logarithmic relativity. A high number on that chart means the market is overpriced, period.
    Last edited by Macheath; 10-14-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Cool. So the market is at a point above Black Tuesday. I'm currently selling all my investments and buying Dogecoin.