Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Things which provoke anger

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Telemarketers provoke anger. Has anyone here used or heard of https://jollyrogertelephone.com/

Sounds fun, but not sure it's worth it. Seems like most of the calls these days are from computers anyway so I don't know how this hurts them.
    The sample calls are a must-listen though.
    - Definitely

Me: "You need to implement this differently, because what you're doing right now is insecure. <insert suggestions>"

Quality Engineer: "None of the QE frameworks support it."

Look, motherfucker. You testing monkeys used to be called QA, and that was because nobody thought of you as engineers. We still don't. You don't know how to program, you just run scripts and put results into long-winded spreadsheets and wiki pages for directors/VPs to masturbate on.

But you whined. You said, "we're engineers too, we're technical!" You said, "QA is a process, not a job title!" And we let you rebrand yourselves as QE.

Your "QE frameworks" are laughable. Until you can implement something yourself, with something other than a 1000 line bash script or a JMeter test, fuck off. Open a ticket and I'll do it for you when I have time.

Plus, fuck you: in a world where everybody's supposed to be responsible for testing, you are superfluous.

Why does everyone get to blame "white patriarchy" for their problems?

I get that white patriarchy is a real thing, but other real things include: Middle-Eastern suicide bombers, Mexican drug mules, and uneducated Africans having sex with infants to cure their AIDS. Real though they may be, it's still racist and offensive to use those things in the sort of context where "white patriarchy" gets a free pass. But blaming white patriarchy isn't offensive for some reason.

I'm offended, but that doesn't matter because why? Because I'm a white male. Wow, turns out I'm being marginalized, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Wow, turns out I'm being marginalized, too!
    Please don't do that, the Proud Boys among others do that. It's disgusting. Even when people "marginalize" you, you are not actually marginalized. Think about the wack jobs (e.g. our president) who are now "worried" about offending a female because they might be accused of rape. I've never been accused of rape, never come close as far as I know, because I'm not all rapey. I don't make lewd jokes about women, I would never consider touching a woman without asking, I won't be in those situations so I'm safe.

It's also a question of scale. You are being lumped in with the vast majority in this country, no offense but you don't understand what it's like to be a minority. Neither do I. Look at all levels of government, white males across the board. While we may still be the majority, representation by race or gender is no where near reality. So yes, it's a white patriarchy, and until a bunch of black lesbian women join congress it still will be.

Even when people "marginalize" you, you are not actually marginalized.
    If my feelings and opinions are treated as peripheral because of my demographic, there's no other word for it. Your white guilt isn't going to overwhelm my irritation.

Huge swaths of people have been treated cruelly by society. White men aren't the only perpetrators, and they also aren't only perpetrators: there are plenty of white men being subjugated by the same systems due to their poverty, or addictions, or mental illness, or sexual orientation.

Until all of us can start being less racist and sexist without picking a slice of the population to blame, we're just perpetuating the same cycle.

I've never been accused of rape, never come close as far as I know, because I'm not all rapey. I don't make lewd jokes about women, I would never consider touching a woman without asking
    This is why it's unfair to lump you in with a broad "white men" label as part of the problem. It's also unfair to talk about "white men" and then turn around, look at you, and say, "but not you, you're one of the good ones."

I'd like it if people could talk about the change they want to see in the world without directing blame at me with their big, proud, inaccurate brush. The fact that I'm personally not a racist, sexist homophobe is cold comfort when I know you look at me and feel all that misdirected anger and fear.

Look at all levels of government, white males across the board.
    What happens when we've got 50% women in Congress, double digit Hispanic governors, and a transgender furry President, and people are still assholes to each other?

I'm telling you, it's human nature. Not "white patriarchy."

You made some valid points but I completely lost focus after "furry president"....

maxresdefault.jpg