Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Things which provoke anger

Anger is a strong word, but New Mexico just replaced Columbus Day with "Indigenous Peoples Day" and I had the following conversation in my head:

ME: Indigenous Peoples Day? That's kind of clunky.
    INDIGENOUS PEOPLES: Well, we're not "Indians."
    ME: Fair enough, but what about Native American Day or something?
    INDIGENOUS PEOPLES: We also didn't choose the name "America" for ourselves, kind of a sore point.
    ME: Okay, so collectively, what do you call all these tribes?
    INDIGENOUS PEOPLES: "Indigenous Peoples."
    ME: Every pre-global society thinks of themselves as "the people," then they realize there are other nations out there and they need to give themselves a name. You can't just be "the people" anymore, you have cellphones and shit.
    INDIGENOUS PEOPLES: Yeah, but we are, so.

Every continent has "indigenous peoples." Is this holiday for them too? I guess it must be, I haven't really looked into it. But there's already an international holiday for "indigenous peoples," for the record.

\_(ツ)_/

Columbus was an enormous douche. Can we all just agree on that and delete his holiday from all the calendars? I don't think it needs a replacement.

Zillow shows cheap homes near the coast! Oh, but they're in a trailer park. Well, but it's a small mortgage and it's right on the ocean! Consider it anyway!

Just recently found out that those trailer parks have a $1500/month space rental fee, on top of your mortgage.

This commercial is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU&t=13m51s

EDIT: The original they're parodying is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU&t=15s
    Last edited by Macheath; 04-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.

"So like, I guess the only thing I would say is..."

Say it. Say it and shut up. Spare me the 15-word preamble to your precious sentence, hot damn.

Brevity is the soul of wit ... and not pissing me off.

The final little bit to wrap up my divorce is to pay my ex for half the value of the equity in my house. We agreed upon a value from an appraisal we had done 2 years ago when we had PMI taken off and I felt quite safe that the value hadn't gone down and locking in that value would only benefit me. Flash forward to the last couple months and it's a different story. I was looking to do a loan assumption to keep my old interest rate and just take over the current mortgage. The people running that told me to do that before taking out a HELOC so she wouldn't be listed as a borrower. Cool. So I did that. Got to the 11th hour and they said the only remaining thing needed was proof I had paid her off. I told them what was happening there and that they had told me to do the assumption first. They said they didn't realize I had to pay her off with that money and I suddenly became thankful they were in Kentucky so I couldn't kill them right then and there.

So then I scrambled to get a HELOC. The first bank I talked to had my mortgage so I figured they'd make it easy. They did not. The guy I talked to on day one made it sound very easy. He took the info and paperwork and said we could have it all done by the following Friday. Great! I came back the next Monday to bring some info they asked for and his desk was cleared out. The day I talked to him had been his last day there and nothing he said was remotely true. Fantastic. So they scramble to try to make it better, but come back with a home value $50k under what I had agreed to. They paid for an appraisal that brought it to only $40k under the original amount, which meant a significantly higher interest rate for the amount I needed. Oh, and the appraisal from 2 years ago that I was using in the divorce? It was from their guys at this bank.

Now I go to my bank and talk to them. They can do things pretty quickly too and their interest rate is a point better, but still ugly since now there are 2 appraisals floating around that show the house valued quite a bit lower than planned. I move forward with it anyway just to make sure I have something before the June 31st deadline.

Then I go back to the original, original plan and call my mortgage broker. She runs the numbers and can get me the cash and only raise my interest rate by .225%, which is a great deal better than the 6.8% I'd have on the HELOC. She has another appraisal done and this time it comes in at only $10k less than the original number. So, now I'm going with that and getting PMI back on my mortgage again, but that'll only cost me $51 a month versus $160 a month for an interest only payment on the HELOC, so, there's that.

There's really no lesson here. I hope nobody else gets divorced, but it happens and when it does, it sucks. It sucks for so many reasons. Nothing seems to really go right and a good chuck of that is likely tied to screwed up critical thinking when dealing with emotional aspects of finances. It's messy and stupid and you feel really dumb for being on a diet and not just eating or drinking your feelings away.

But in 2 weeks, it will be behind me. In 6 weeks, she'll have her new house and all her remaining "stuff" she left cause she didn't have room will be gone. The house will have a few less reminders, but it will be a bit more empty. I don't regret fighting to keep it for myself often, but it does happen. My kids still call it "home" and her place is "mommy's house" and, I know it's petty, but it helps assuage how I feel about what this does to my kids every day.

I dunno. Maybe this isn't anger anymore. It's something, but it's empty inside.
    Last edited by Drewbie; 06-17-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Wow, that's a lot of feelings. It's all good, feel free to process.

So when are you putting the pool back in?

Never.

But I did just get a phone call from my mortgage broker and she got my interest rate down a bit so now it's actually better than what I had before, so that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    The day I talked to him had been his last day there and nothing he said was remotely true.
    lol jesuswhatthefuck

This is good. And shitty. The fake commercial at the end slew me. (Around 19:00 or so, if you don't wanna watch the whole damn thing.)