Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Things which provoke anger

I didn't really appreciate the household stuff until I had a place of my own.

The respect factor went up by magnitudes after that
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Ditto. I was a lazy, no good bum until what I wanted out of life necessitated doing more. The rub is figuring out what you want out of life that necessitates doing more. Before I was 21 I didn't want a whole lot (naps and video games) so I had no drive. After that I wanted to go to concerts and drink at bars, so $$$ which requried that I actually did shit.

The "Failure to Launch" phenomenon is becoming more and more common. I have two stepsons who are now 28 and 29. Back when they were, say, 24, they were pretty much the only ones among their friends who had managed to move out of their parents' houses and do something with their lives. Now one is a lawyer and the other is an accountant while their friends are still trying to "figure out who they are" and some *still* live at home.

A big part of the problem is parents allowing that sort of behavior from their children. These days parents spoil their kids rotten. No chores, unlimited electronics including TVs in their rooms, not being called on their disrespect, etc. etc. I know of what I speak because I'm sometimes guilty of it with my daughter.

I think the suggestion that on X day he pays $Y/month in rent or moves out is a good one. I think one of the reasons that my stepsons managed to be contributing members of society long before their peers is that their mom demanded it of them. The deal was that either you were a full time student, or you worked full time, or you moved out. And if you were working full time you had to be saving to get a place of your own. She didn't buy into her kid living at home and buying a fancy new car and the latest electronic toys.
    - Definitely

That is already in the works, so to speak. As part of my talks with him, I've told him he needs to get a job and put a plan in place now for what he's going to do when he turns 18 because living here and doing nothing is not an option. That isn't exactly a "gtfo", but along with my other statements about how he needs a job now to know how much he can budget for an apartment, he needs a job now so that he has some money saved to get said apartment, to show the apartment place he has a few months of job security, etc. I think it is pretty clear where that is going.

The conversation would be different if he were trying to "earn his keep", but he isn't so I'm already aiming at "out" around his 18th b-day. My wife and I have talked about a rent option, but I really don't want to have to police his mess.

A potential bright spot... his older brother claims that he is moving up to his dad's. He may just be talking jack, but maybe he has finally convinced his dad that he no longer lies, steals, and drugs enough that him and his wife are letting him move up there. If that happens, I could see my "almost 18" thinking he too might get taken in. Not sure about that though. It is no secret that the oldest was always favored by their other dad.

Oh yeah. And apparently we're grounding our teen. No going to friends until he puts in 3 apps, does his chores, and cleans up his room completely. And every Monday it resets. 3 apps, room cleaned, chores done. The apps have to be verified by bringing them home or taking a picture.

I'll let you know how that works out.

Maybe your teen would be motivated by studying MMM. That could provide a more near-term light at the end of the tunnel instead of looking into the abyss of "working the rest of my life". Just a thought.

I've talked to him about saving early and saving hard. I've told him about people who can retire early, etc, including MMM. Granted... MMM has a blog that pulls in six figures...

But yeah- I've spent a good chunk of time talking to him about everything he can do. From learning to lifeguard and heading to Myrtle beach, to saving up for a train ticket to go out west, or Florida, or pretty much anywhere. He has no attachments. See the country at least. So yeah... sounds good in my own ears. He says okay, then goes on doing nothing.

I fail to launch several times every morning.

The roof of my house sucked. It was free-span 2x4's with a 4' overhang that sagged nearly a foot on the corners. I had some major hail damage last year and the insurance check was to pay for new shingles and some siding. Instead, I took that money and some more out of pocket and ripped the entire upper story's roof off my house and replaced it with trusses. The chimney was knocked down below the roof line and rebuilt with new flashing and the whole thing made right.

The snow melting a month ago cause it to rain in my living room. Now, this is a different portion of the roof than the new one I had put up, but lord was I pissed. I figured out that it was a crack in the flashing along the part of the chimney that wasn't redone with the roof fix. I called up the mason and he came out last week to reflash the lower portion of the chimney. He worked through the weekend and even finished up on Easter Sunday. Dedication.

Yesterday it rained hard and will rain hard for the next 7 days apparently. By 9 am, it was raining in my living room, way worse than when the snow melted. I went up into the attic to see where it was coming from and it was coming right through the flashing. I went up on the roof and could see where the water was pooling along the upper portion of the flashing, then running back under the shingles and apparently into my attic, then into the living room. I poked some holes in the ceiling near where the water was coming in so it didn't pool in the attic and flow all over the place like it was. Now, at least, I have a controlled flow of water through the ceiling and into a bucket on the floor. Meanwhile, the mason can't really do anything to fix it until it stops raining. He does plan to tear out what he did and redo it, likely at no cost to me I imagine. In the meantime, I've got a piece of linoleum and two bricks up on the roof rerouting the water flow away from the problem spot.
    Last edited by Drewbie; 04-28-2014 at 08:28 AM.

That house is the ultimate Money Pit.

Divert the rain to the pool and make lemonade out of the situation.
    How many times must this fool die?
    -Morte

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    Every house is the ultimate Money Pit.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    Divert the rain to the pool and make lemonade out of the situation.
    After running through the attic awhile, it looks more like lemonade than water. Also, no.