Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Things which provoke anger

Year Nineteen: I've replaced every square foot of the house and nothing leaks anymore, but a portal to hell has opened in the basement.

I bought an older house with many quirks. Some of which I knew about when I bought it; some I have stumbled upon while living there. While I have done a great deal of work to the house, most of it has been improvements that didn't need to happen for the house to be liveable. The roof was old and not properly constructed. For what that job entailed, I don't feel like I paid too much for it. The latest issue sucks, but it happened after only paying $230 for a fix to something that was 50 years old. The guy who did it will make it right. I'm just frustrated at the situation.

I'd call it a money pit if I kept finding new things to fix every time I turned around. That's not the case. I'm fixing up issues here and there, but those types of issues happen in every home.

There are other things weighing on me that make this situation seem worse than it is. I'll write up that whole thing some other time when I feel like peering down that rabbit hole. In very, very short, my parents are lunatics, assholes, and overgrown children and it sucks that sometimes the children of these types of people have to reign them in and explain that their behavior is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    [Every house is the ultimate Money Pit.]

After running through the attic awhile, it looks more like lemonade than water. Also, no.
    Hehe, true.

While in addition to making my job-hopping easier, this is the other reason I've never owned a house. The amount of time I see my parents, friends and indeed all homeowners spending on their homes instead of, you know, enjoying their lives is amazing.

And I'm a prime example now,what with living with the girlfriend. Instead of spending yesterday's sunny weather laying in our hammock, Kelly and I replaced a rotten fence post, replaced rotten boards, planted the garden, picked up dogshit and weeded flower beds. This is why I don't play Eve anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    There are other things weighing on me that make this situation seem worse than it is. I'll write up that whole thing some other time when I feel like peering down that rabbit hole. In very, very short, my parents are lunatics, assholes, and overgrown children and it sucks that sometimes the children of these types of people have to reign them in and explain that their behavior is unacceptable.
    opcorn:
    How many times must this fool die?
    -Morte

I'm really liking my condo right now. Mortgage + HOA fees still comes out to less than I'd pay to rent a place like this, and I'm building equity, and I don't have a landlord, and I don't have to fix the roof/fence/exterior surface, mow the lawns, trim the bushes, or resurface the driveway? Sign me up!

Ok, I wanna play. Keep in mind this happened during the first month of me quitting chewwing tobacco:

Client - I think you missed something on my State taxes.
    Me - Oh, what is that?
    Client - I never had social security withheld from my wages while working, I was a State employee.
    ME - Yes, that actually makes a difference on you State taxes regarding retirement being exempt.
    ME - Since I now know this, I'll probably need to amend 2012 as well.
    Client - This is riduclous, how could you not know this.
    ME - Ummm, you have been a client since 2008, but were already retired then, sooooo how would I have known what your W-2 looked like before that?
    Client - You should have KNOWN!!!!!
    ME - Not really, Michigan teachers have SS taken out, so if California teachers don't I need to be told, since you are the ONLY retired California teacher I work with, you know, since this is Michigan........
    Clinet - YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN
    ME - {nic rage is in full effect} so you want me to be a psychic, AND a CPA, is that what you are asking?
    Client - I don't like your tone
    ME - Please find another accountant next year
    Client - ummmm, ok

Too much rage, I could have probably saved a decent tax client, but button pushing in March is never a good idea.
    Odds are, anything I say here is NSFW.

I love when blatantly moronic customers and clients get put in their places.

I still have to be creative when telling people off.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    While in addition to making my job-hopping easier, this is the other reason I've never owned a house. The amount of time I see my parents, friends and indeed all homeowners spending on their homes instead of, you know, enjoying their lives is amazing.
    Don't confuse my working on my house as me not enjoying my life. If I didn't like doing it, I wouldn't have done the work I've done myself. It's not cause I'm cheap; it's cause making a plan, then doing it is my crack and I love every minute of it. Are there issues that crop up and give me fits of anger? Sure, but if I was whittling and something went wrong I'd probably get pissed off for a bit too. Are there parts of the whole process that aren't fun and are time-consuming bastards as well? Sure, but for the most part, I do love owning my home and doing all things to make it and keep it nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    And I'm a prime example now,what with living with the girlfriend. Instead of spending yesterday's sunny weather laying in our hammock, Kelly and I replaced a rotten fence post, replaced rotten boards, planted the garden, picked up dogshit and weeded flower beds. This is why I don't play Eve anymore
    No, you don't play Eve anymore because you have something else that you'd rather spend your time with. That's great! Are you always doing things you'd like to be doing? Hell no, but welcome to the land of having a significant other. You didn't say you didn't get to play Eve yesterday in the sunny weather. You said you didn't get to lay in a hammock with your girlfriend. Either way, your time is going to her and time spent together, regardless of what you're doing during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by thumblewort View Post
    Too much rage, .
    Honestly, I think I'm in agreement with your client. They aren't the CPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrin View Post
    I love when blatantly moronic customers and clients get put in their places.
    One should expect a professional to have their own body of expertise to rely on rather than relying/acting solely on whatever information you, as the non-expert in that field, provide to them. They (the expert) should ask questions to make sure everyone is on the same page. After all, they are the one getting paid to do the job.

If you think it is the customer's "job" to know how to change the oil, build the roof, handle the taxes, before they pay someone else to do it, you're placing the burden of expertise on the wrong individual.

I agree that I should have kept my mouth shut and kept the client, and in the future when I see a 1099-R from a different state I will ask an appropriate question, but the fact still remains I am not psychic, and not trained in how the rest of the 49 state pay their teachers. 95% of the 350+ tax returns I see annually are Michigan citizens, with Michigan income.

And since the topic is about anger, and I am dick and an asshole, every once in awhile it's kinda cool to unload and fire a client who is kind of a dick and an asshole. I cost my company a $250 annual fee, but once it was done I felt pretty good about it - call it cheap therapy. Call it my life without nicotine stance - I'll be a marginally nice person if someone is nice and or cool, but to the other folks who are dicks like me it's on, no more nicotine crutch to take the edge off.
    Odds are, anything I say here is NSFW.

The birth father of my older kids calls and asks his youngest (1 month from being 18) to call the county and say that he (i.e. the 17 yo) drove his truck into a ditch at 5 AM and left it there. This is because said truck has the kid's name on the title, but has no insurance, and their father has no license (because it got taken away).

Who the fuck does that?

Obviously I counseled him against that. He doesn't need whatever crap he'd be put through for fleeing an accident, no insurance, etc. And if he did lie and got caught, it would be worse.

Not to mention that the truck was parked almost 3 hours away from us at said asshole's house. I should have had my 17 yo transfer the truck back over when he took it up there months ago. But really... who?

Okay, so asshat called back and is going to try something else first, but asking my son (his son) to take the fall is apparently still on the table.

I am so telling my wife about this...