Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Greplin Programming Challenge

Administrator

I'm putting together a simple app to collect and compare node data, as sort of a high level "early warning system" when one of our shits gets out of line with the rest of the shits in terms of software versions, hardware profile, configuration, etc.

I want to throw a quick GUI on top of it, and it's been thirty-five years since I touched a UI so I figured I'd look up if there are any cool, easy Javascript libraries for HTML5 pie charts and stuff.

I got that far and then just said "fuck it" and used Google Charts. But the answer is yes, there are some cool Javascript libraries for HTML5 pie charts and stuff.

Call me old fashioned, but I like bash scripts. Other people prefer to write everything in Python as the "lowest level" they're willing to go. Bash is too primitive for them. I understand; exception handling, string weirdness, etc. But bash is close to the OS, I can rely on it working without any external tools required. Anyway, I just had this conversation:

AWS consultant: I rewrote the script in python, please don't hate me
    Me: I don't really care, I just don't want two versions of the script floating around, invites bifurcation
    Me: I also personally prefer bash to python, because I don't want to rely on having the proper env/runtime installed to run a script
    AWS consultant: thus the docker file
    Oh, right, okay. So instead of adding a dependency on a particular version of Python being installed, instead you're standing up a whole virtual machine? Yeah, that sounds lightweight.

Me: well then, if you're determined, please just pull out all the individual role definitions and read them from yaml/json, so both scripts are using the same source of truth
    Me: that is your penalty for doing it in python
    AWS consultant: small price to pay to avoid sed/awk pipes and banging my head against a wall
    Duuuuude, just learn to bash.

This shit just made me furrow my brow. The problem description has some detail, which... okay, maybe a little verbose, but the reply is hilariously assholish:

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.27.20 AM.png

"YO, save the WAR STORIES for your BLOG old maaaan, I didn't ask for your LIFE STORY"

Take a step back, Daniel Beck. Christ.