Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting A Server Behind Your Router Is Like Asking To Be Punched In The Throat

Hosting A Server Behind Your Router Is Like Asking To Be Punched In The Throat

Here's the port forwarding on my router -- note the single enabled rule, for Minecraft's default port of 25565:

linksys.png

Pretty sure that's correct (not like it's super complicated) but I don't want to assume anything, because it doesn't fucking work. Note that the IP address is 192.168.1.101, which matches my internal address according to ipconfig:

ipconfig.png

So my router should be forwarding traffic coming in on port 25565 to 192.168.1.101, right? That's how port forwarding works, right? I've edited my server's completely goddamn undocumented "server.properties" file to ensure that it starts on the forwarded-to address:

server-ip=192.168.1.101

And note that the server does indeed come up on 192.168.1.101:25565, with no errors at all:

server.png

My Minecraft client can connect to that internal IP, so I know the server's up and running -- but I cannot connect to my external IP address, which is hidden due to HACKERS according to whatismyip.com, nor is port 25565 open according to canyouseeme.org.

There is a Java PID that starts up and listens on port 25565 -- here's the before and after:

netstat.png

So I'm not insane. And Windows Firewall isn't the problem either -- at least, I don't think so. I tried both adding a new rule for incoming traffic and then shutting the firewall down completely, and neither approach allowed canyouseeme.org or Minecraft itself to function.

What... am I... forgetting...?

Last edited by Macheath; 07-08-2014 at 09:24 AM.

I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with the fancy-pants new cable modem Time Warner sent me. It might have port forwarding rules of its own. I get to my Linksys admin page at 192.168.1.1, and this cable modem has a whole separate admin page at 192.168.0.1 -- if this stupid thing is acting as a second router I'm gonna be pissed off.

I know that the modem I got about a yearish ago from Wide Open West also is a router. The modem I had from them prior was just a modem, but this one was "required" to support the faster network speed upgrade I got. Now I have essentially two wired/wireless networks. One I can easily control, the other one with a 20-digit key and I haven't even bothered calling about access to change it to something not stupid.

If it is using an internal subnet (e.g. 192.) then it is running a private network- ergo a router is built in.

And that is great for all their "other" customers that don't have their own routers. It protects them and allows them to connect multiple devices. All my guests go on my linksys. Same goes for my teen...

You are probably going to have to call to tell them you need to set up port forwarding, etc.

I can't think of anything more fun than having to call Comcast to set up port forwarding.

What does your linksys router's admin tools report as its Gateway? If it's 192.168.0.1, your modem is probably the problem. Does it have antennas?

Third post in this thread says, "You may have to call support to get some things changed on your VOIP/modem . TW is giving out the ubee MTAs as a VOIP/modem, and by default they are being configured in GATEWAY mode instead of acting as a straight modem. Makes forwatding a pain, and breaks any type of DDNS service you may be running. You can google how to change it, but it gets reset every day or two when TW pings the modem."

Don't know if that's the modem you've got or not, but it sounds like Time Warner provides some modems with routers and their default set up is greedy. Also seems like you'll need to contact support for access to the router config unless you can find a default user/pass on the internet somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    If it is using an internal subnet (e.g. 192.) then it is running a private network- ergo a router is built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    What does your linksys router's admin tools report as its Gateway? If it's 192.168.0.1, your modem is probably the problem.
    Yep, I'm pretty sure that's my problem. Not at home right now, but I did check that last night, which is what led me to believe my modem was screwing me.

Does it have antennas?
    Somewhere inside it, I suppose. I think it's this one. They told me it can serve as a wireless router, but of course (since I have my own) I told them I didn't want that. I figured that meant it wouldn't serve as a router either. Silly me.

Don't know if that's the modem you've got or not, but it sounds like Time Warner provides some modems with routers and their default set up is greedy. Also seems like you'll need to contact support for access to the router config unless you can find a default user/pass on the internet somewhere.
    I went down the list of default Arris modem passwords, none of them worked. I couldn't get access to the modem's settings, or I'd have dug in more and found any port forwarding configuration there.

At least I'm pretty sure now that it's the source of the problem. Now maybe I can call Time Warner and get some help. Somebody else in the thread you linked suggested "buy your own modem." I considered that once upon a time, when I thought TWC might have been charging me a rental fee, but they assure me they don't so I never bothered.

This is the top-rated modem on NewEgg and the picture of the back is beautiful. A coaxial plug, a single ethernet port, and a power cord. I love simplicity.

While I'm at it, might as well look at routers too. This is the top-rated wireless router on NewEgg, and it looks awfully familiar to me. Mine is a base WRT54G, v8.0 if the "firmware version" in the screenshot above can be trusted; the one on NewEgg is the WRT54GL. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that it has Linux-based firmware rather than the proprietary VxWorks, which probably explains NerdEgg's enthusiasm. Maybe I don't need a new router.

But I probably do need a new modem.

You could try changing your Linksys' IP address to be on the 192.168.0 subnet (say, 192.168.0.2) and turn off its DNS. That would put it on the same subnet as the Arris. Then all your devices would use the Arris as a gateway. That alone might let the traffic on port 25565 through, though I'm guessing not. If it doesn't, then you'll need to get access to the Arris config to either forward the port or turn off the GATEWAY mode.

This page suggests that I am, in fact, leasing a modem from TWC. So they just straight-up lied to me, apparently, when I asked if I was paying a monthly fee for using their modem instead of buying my own...? Good greasy Christ, how do these companies (thinking now of Verizon as well) just lie right to your face when asked a simple question, and more importantly, how many times am I going to fall for it?

Yeah, look at that: $5.99 a month for "Internet Modem Lease." However, looking at my statement I recall some monkey business -- last time I talked to a CSR on the phone -- about my specific plan being cheaper because of some godforsaken bundle package. And yeah, looks like a hefty discount is being applied. Maybe they fudged the facts and told me (perhaps truthfully) that I'm paying less with my current setup than I would if I bought my own modem.
    Attached Images Attached Images