Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hosting A Server Behind Your Router Is Like Asking To Be Punched In The Throat

Best Buy has the SB6141 for $110, compared to $85 (plus free shipping) at NewEgg. I'm going to be leaving town in a couple days, so it doesn't make sense to have it shipped right now. I'll mull things over while I'm in Wisconsin.

Just ordered from NewEgg... it was $90 instead of $85. And now I check Amazon, and it's $78. I hate fluctuating online prices.

I had to call Comcast twice yesterday because of some major packet loss, like 30%, while I was trying to work from home and remote into my systems. They seemed super relieved when I replied to them that I owned the modem, which was no doubt the cause of the issues. About a half hour after the second call, right before I was going to go and buy a new modem, I did one more disconnect from the coax and reboot and everything started working just fine again.

Disconnecting the coax, touching the cable end and reconnecting has quickly become one of my first troubleshooting steps. I don't completely understand why I'm doing that, but hey, it works.

It took a solid two hours of fucking around on the phone and driving to a local equipment center to return old modems (and get them wiped off my account), but I appear to be up and running again -- through a router, and able to connect to Minecraft (and presumably other games as well).

RESOLVED!

Of course, I may have fucked up my bill today and will be somehow paying more, we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    Disconnecting the coax, touching the cable end and reconnecting has quickly become one of my first troubleshooting steps. I don't completely understand why I'm doing that, but hey, it works.
    With your tongue? I hear that is awesome!