Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    It's a little out of your range, but have you considered this MMX300? As far as recording yourself, have you ever tried using headphones as a mic? One of the DJs I'm acquainted with was beatboxing with his headphones after the party got shut down last weekend. It was silly.
    I haven't really looked at headsets, because the microphone would be a bit of a waste. I've got a nice freestanding mic I use. So just need a regular pair of headphones, which I could then use at home, at work, on a plane, etc. without looking like [more of] a dork. Then again, for gaming, can't really beat a headset.

Boy, if I were willing to double or triple my anticipated budget, these Beyerdynamic T70P phones look awfully nice.

These AKG Q701 headphones just dropped and they're much more reasonable. They seem to have an okay reputation too. And who doesn't like Qunicy Jones?

I saw that. I was (and am) tempted, but I'm not sure whether the "open" style will work for me. Too much leakage out for gaming and recording at home, or for use at work... too much leakage in for wearing on an airplane or elsewhere in public. Seems they're best for audio engineering, single player gaming, and straight up listening to music on the couch. They're beautiful, though.

On a slightly different note, damn these are some sexy ass-computer speakers.

I know this guy looks like a HUGE PUTZ but trust me..... Dave Rat knows his shit when it comes to audio. He is the board op for Red Hot Chili Peppers. He is on the quest for a new set of mixing headphones. There are 5 videos in his quest. He was looking for ones with the "flattest" sounds though. You may be looking for something with a little more skew in the EQ.

If you find yourself with nothing to do some evening, watch some of his other videos where he explains theory. (or not) I find them very cool.

Wow, that's pretty damn cool.

Massdrop just listed these Audio-Technica ATH-Pro500MK2 headphones for $69, which strikes me as a pretty good deal (cheaper than anything on Amazon at the moment) so I went ahead and grabbed them. The Pro700 version is listed as a mid-range closed headphone on head-fi.org's guide, and this review says the Pro500s stack up pretty well. I'm just a little worried about the "basshead" categorization. I'm not exactly a basshead. Whatever, they were relatively cheap.

The big thing is, I finally got off my ass and can stop wearing Beats By Dre.

I wouldn't be too worried about the bass response. You can always tweak the EQ. Heck, maybe they'll turn you into a basshead. Of course, you should probably listen to that James Blake song I linked on the first page when you get them to find out. I picked up some Rokit monitors last month. They're pretty great.

I don't know if this qualifies as Audiophile, but it's close enough.

I can get get this USB condenser mic through my company for basically free (it's the only option available). I'm currently using a headset mic which is OK for skype stuff but when I try to do voice "acting" stuff for our videos I have to hold my head perfectly still or the boom mic makes a creaking sound. Do you guys thing this will be a good microphone? I don't do a ton of stuff with my current mic but I feel like I would do more if I had better equipment. Plus we're homeschooling our kids and I think this could be a very useful tool a couple of years down the line when they want to do more creative stuff.

Other questions in case I do get this.

This mic comes with a desktop mount, should I invest in a microphone stand (also available for free from my company) to avoid desk sounds?

Should I get a pop filter? Drew/Mac do you have one? I know they're relatively cheap, just want to know if I need one.