Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile Equipment

I have a desktop mount/stand for mine, but no pop filter. I haven't found that I needed one for my mic, but Mac may have different feelings about it.

Reading the reviews, the only major complaints are that you can get equivalent quality mics for less money. Seems like if it's free, you overcome that issue.

If you can get it "basically free," then I'd say absolutely do it. Any USB condenser mic is likely to be a huge step up from a headset. You could even use it for Skype and astound us with your improved audio quality.

If the microphone stand is also free, then there's absolutely no reason not to go with it. I have one (a boom stand) and use it, my mic hangs over my desk.

The pop filter is also a good idea. I've used one the entire time I've had my mic, and never had a problem with popping. That said, I tend to keep my face pretty far away from the mic while I'm just chatting/Skyping, so popping wouldn't be an issue anyway. I'd still grab one for voice acting, just to be safe. Put it on and leave it on.

Thank you for your expertise (expertises?)

I ordered the microphone. The items are "free" but spend points awarded for doing well at work. I opted to buy the mic stand with real money because the only good option was one that was thrice as expensive (if you account for the point -> dollar conversion) and my wife has been eyeing up a robot vacuum. I also ordered a pop filter because for $6 why not?

I'm looking forward to being able to keep the mic plugged in all the time because I won't have to restart my computer to get it to work. Also my headphones are much more comfortable than the headset.

Yaaaaaaay!

Not a bad mic at all. A friend of mine uses it for a few things, and the sound has always been good on his end.

Was looking into picking it up myself, but as was mentioned, the cost is kinda high for this type of mic.

Pretty awesome that you could snag it for basically free!

Right now, I've just been using a decent headset that I've had for a while. It's just starting to get stuck with a slight hint of noise when I'm not talking, so been checking to see if it's doing it by itself, through Audacity, or if it is just picking up the ambient computer sounds from the tower. It's not too noticeable yet, thankfully.

Honestly, the only major issue I'm having is when I'm forced to use the stereo mix function of my comp for recording purposes, the mic input comes in absurdly quietly while everything coming out from the computer (like skype) comes out much louder. Granted, I'm leaning towards this being an Audacity issue more than anything else.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

damnit....I have to get a new mic as well. Not to find a way to hide it from the wife.

Anyone have any recommendations on a 4 channel amplifier? I need two (one upstairs, one down) to use with my chromecast audio with 4 in wall speakers. Preferably would like it to always be left on, or at least when it is turned on it remembers the last input. AM/FM tuner would be nice as well. I came across some pyle brand 4 channel amps, but the reviews made them sound awful. Maybe I just have to break down and buy a 5.1 receiver...

I love www.monoprice.com for all things audio.

I was thinking about getting a new mic as I wanted to dip my toes more into making videos and my current mic sucks. I plugged in my wife's mic (same cheap GE brand) and I could literally tune in a radio station while I had the steam "test microphone" button clicked. My son thought it was a trick. Ha ha.

Anyway. I was reading this thread and then remembered that I have a "real" microphone. Okay it is old. Probably 24ish years old. An EV MC100. Nothing spectacular, but it has sat safe in its bag all these years. Enough so that I'd be willing to try it out. Only thing I need is an adapter so I can plug it in. Is XLR to 3.5 mm the way to go? Stereo over mono so if I share it with someone they aren't annoyed at my voice being on one side, I figure. But is there some other adapter type I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    An EV MC100.
    That's a dynamic microphone. It's good for live performances where you absolutely cannot tolerate "loud = crackle" overloading. Most of the time, for recording your voice, you want to use a condenser microphone instead, which has a wider range and better definition.

A condenser would result in better quality (and might require some minimal audio engineering in a program like Audacity) but you can certainly give it a try with the mic you have and see what you think. I expect it will come out sounding sort of muffled and bassy.

Only thing I need is an adapter so I can plug it in. Is XLR to 3.5 mm the way to go?
    No, you want something that will take you from XLR to USB, which will give you the most flexibility. And while there are simple cables (XLR at one end, USB at the other end) that might work with your dynamic microphone, they won't work with a condenser (which requires external power). So if you find you want to use a condenser microphone for better audio quality, you'll need a USB audio interface.

If you go ahead and buy one of those and it comes with some shitty "training wheels" version of Pro Tools, throw the CD away and use Audacity instead.

There is such a thing as a USB condenser microphone, which would let you skip the interface. I think Drewbie uses one. I have an XLR + interface setup.

Stereo over mono
    Mono is better. Mono doesn't mean "just record the left channel," it means record one channel and pipe it out both sides during playback. So unless you actually need left and right channels that sound different (and a mic that will support such a recording) you should just record a single mono track.