Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electronics (not computers) Thread

The Electronics (not computers) Thread

My wife and I gave each other the new Tivo Roamio for Christmas. Along with it we got the Mini which will allow a remote TV to use the new Tivo as well. This solves a long standing problem I had getting HD content to the back room of my house. The problem is that I don't actually have an HD set in the back of my house, so I need to get one.

The little alcove in the room where the TV goes is 48" wide. I decided for cost reasons, though, to stick to a TV in the 40" range. I want to pay in the $500 range, not in the $2500 range.

It's a bright room, so plasma is pretty much out of the question.

I'm looking for something with a really good picture, and decent sound. It's a secondary TV, so it doesn't have to be theater quality. Also I have no use for 3D.

Right now I'm considering these two TVs:

Samsung UN40H6350 (40")
    Visio M422i-B1 (42")

So far the only real review sites I've found are Consumerreports.org and CNET.com. I'm also suffering analysis paralysis.

Any thoughts on what TV I should get?
    - Definitely

I'd lean toward Samsung, but that's just my own bias; Samsung has been the king of hi-def screens for a long time. Have you gone into a brick and mortar store to actually gaze upon these things? What are the "everything other than how it is as a TV" factors here, in terms of smart TV bullshit, remote control functions, menu usability, bezel width, weight, etc?

Do you intend to use the "Smart" features like Hulu, Netflix, etc on this TV? If not, just go dumb with it and buy a cheaper version of either. If you decide you want the "Smart" aspects later, you can drop $30 on a Chromecast and be just fine, unless you're Apple people in which case, I got nothing.

I wound up taking your advice and going to a brick and mortar store to actually look at them. The Vizio was at BestBuy and they had it so high up on the wall that I couldn't really examine the picture. Sears didn't have the Vizio, but they had the Samsung and let me play with the remote. My wife convinced me to buy the 48" Samsung instead of the 40". It will still fit in our alcove.

I really wanted to actually buy it at Sears since I think it's slimy to intentionally use a brick and mortar store to look at something and then buy it online. Sears was $50 more and they didn't have it in stock. I showed them that BestBuy had it for less but they gave me some song and dance about the complexities of their price match policy. They wouldn't budge from their number. It pissed me off sufficiently to just buy it from Amazon. Enjoy your bankruptcy this year Sears.

I wound up ordering the Samsung UN48H6350. Now to go order cables on monoprice.com.

I am not looking forward to the credit card bill this month. I've been spending like a drunken sailor.
    - Definitely

Do we have a wrist watch thread?

Anyone interested in the Pebble Time? It just hit kickstarter and crushed the fastest to $1 million mark. It's beyond $5 mil right now with over 25,000 backers. I guess it's a pretty hot topic.

I'm still just not sure if I care about having a watch. I haven't worn once since I got used to carrying my phone in my pocket around 2006. I wear a Garmin when I run but I'm not sure I want to go back to always wearing a thing on my wrist. Perhaps it's because my schedule isn't such that I need to constantly check what's next?

EDIT: They got another 100 backers in the time it took to type this post. It's so popular I should buy one before they run out!

It's essentially a discounted preorder of an updated product...

Kinda like what would happen if Apple decided to kickstart the next iphone.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Here's my latest thought/project I'm contemplating. We've got two perfectly good cars that we're not getting rid of any time soon. I've always liked the idea of a backup camera, and lately with Carplay making news it got me thinking. Can I install a camera on the car and connect it to an old iPhone as a backup camera, while also being able to use the iPhone as a media device in the car. There don't appear to be any off the shelf solutions that are quite what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping I can figure something out.

Yes, I realize I could spend $1000 and buy a Pioneer Carplay head unit with backup camera.

Anybody have a good solution?

Using an old iphone is as a media device is a pretty simple setup. If your car has bluetooth then you're already set. If not you can buy bluetooth adapters to connect your phone to your car. I have to use this FM tuner since I don't have an AUX jack in my car. If you have one then you can use something like this.

As for camera/phone systems, this looks like it's exactly what you're looking for. (Amazon mirror)

Thanks for the links. That Bluetooth thing looks pretty slick.

I'm curious about the bluetooth RF thing. I use one that plugs into the headphone jack of my phone and it works great except that I had to shave down the connector because it didn't fit through the hole my retarded phone case left for the headphone jack. Do you get any digital noise that you can sometimes get with bluetooth speakers? Since the old days of RealPlayer's shitty bit-rates that noise has driven me insane.