Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Electronics (not computers) Thread

Give me $400 and I'll make your bread warm and wet even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I never did buy it, but it's been sitting in my Amazon shopping list for 2 years now. And today, it's a flash sale again, this time on Amazon "Prime Day" for $31. I think I might actually buy it this time. Looking at reviews, sounds like it comes with a 3M sticky mount, but people have suggestions for an $8 suction mount that works. Maybe I'll grab both.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C89GCHU/

Hey folks that are smarter than me! I found a neat project on Instructables for a shoe dryer. I'd like to build one with one minor addition ... a timer!

It's basically a box with pipes to hold shoes, a lightbulb for heat, and a fan to blow air. The lightbulb needs 110V and the fan would run on an inverter at 12V. Ideally I'd like to start the unit, have it run for 3 hours, then shut off the power at the 110V so the power is totally shut off.

What's the most cost effective way to do this?

Easiest? Christmas light timer.

I feel like that thing is way over-engineered. I use these PEET Boot Dryers to dry running shoes and to dry/warm winter boots. They're plenty adequate. This time of year they usually go on sale to target hunters, and there's usually places that offer them super-cheap on Black Friday. I'd bet you'll see them 50% off at least once this fall/winter if you keep an eye out for it.

The PEET dryers have tiny resistance coils in the base (think toaster coils) and rely on the heated air rising naturally to dry the shoes. I couldn't tell you if they're more efficient than a 60W lightbulb and a 12V converter powering a fan, but their FAQ page says it uses 36 watts so I'd guess it does.

If you're specifically wanting to build something, you can probably make a decent shoe dryer with just the 60W light-bulb. If you want to have it run on a timer, Drew's suggestion is probably the cheapest. If you have an outlet that is controlled by a switch you could swap out the switch for a timer switch like this one. We use a similar timer switch for our bathroom fan. I don't know if any go up to 3 hours. If you want to go all professional with it and build a timer switch into the dryer itself you're probably going to spend more on the switch than you'll save in a lifetime of use: https://www.mcmaster.com/timer-switches

I have a PEET dryer. It does work well, except I always forget to turn it off. Plus I liked the idea of the moving air for this one.

As for the project, it seemed fun to build. I have everything to make it except for the timer part.

Maybe something like this would work.
    Last edited by nynnja; 09-27-2018 at 01:08 PM.

As an engineer, I would use something like this. It's cheap, flexible, and cool

Quote Originally Posted by zlordsahan View Post
    As an engineer, I would use something like this. It's cheap, flexible, and cool
    I don't think I want a wifi shoe dryer, that's even over the top for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I have a PEET dryer. It does work well, except I always forget to turn it off.
    Have you calculated how much it costs to run? I never have, but now I'm curious.