Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electronics (not computers) Thread

Chromecast Audio is a thing. Quite an interesting thing actually. It works over wifi, streams content directly from the net, and they now synchronize if you have multiple units. Adding a few of these to existing speakers in my house sounds like I'll have a poor man's Sonos system. This may be my Christmas gift to myself.

I bought two of these black friday special at best buy for our new house. Going t control separately wired speakers for both upstairs and downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    The trailer that plays when you go to that link is hilariously stupid, especially if you have it muted. It's 95% people dancing like retards, 5% shots of the actual product. Luckily I was able to scroll down to see what it looks like and does.

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
    I bought two of these black friday special at best buy for our new house. Going t control separately wired speakers for both upstairs and downstairs.
    Did you hook it up yet? Please report.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    The .. hilariously stupid .. muted .. dancing .. retards

I am not in the new house yet, but I tested hooking these up to two different set of speakers and was able to broadcast the same pandora station to both. Just remember that audio broadcasting is limited to certain music phone apps (spotify, pandora, google music, other generic music playing apps) or using the chrome browser on a pc.

I bought two (on sale at Target & Best Buy for $55 right now) and hooked them up. Sure enough they make the same music play in different locations. Now I just need to figure out an additional set of speakers and buy two more of these and I'll have the whole house set up.

I'm also strongly considering Spotify since that app works with them also, but really I listen to Pandora 99% of the time so it's working well for now.

We were just talking about getting a bluetooth speaker or whatnot for the kitchen so I could play music/xm through a my phone or tablet (being that our computers are downstairs while we are listing). If I don't already have some speakers, it seems like getting something like a Etekcity Roverbeats is going to be more up my alley that chromecast audio.

Aside from the "multiple different speakers w/ multiple CA units" thing, is there something that makes chromecast audio more than just a way to make "dumb" speakers "smart" inasmuch as it makes dumb TVs smart?

It makes dumb speakers smart and now syncs multiple sets of speakers to the same tunes. For me that works brilliantly.

My two Chromecasts are working great so I decided to sign up for this special offer from Spotify to get another one. If you're not a Spotify paid subscriber (I had a free account) you can pay for 3 months up front and they send you a coupon for a free Chromecast. I wanted to try Spotify and wanted another Chromecast so I feel like I won.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Do we have a wrist watch thread?

Anyone interested in the Pebble Time? It just hit kickstarter and crushed the fastest to $1 million mark. It's beyond $5 mil right now with over 25,000 backers. I guess it's a pretty hot topic.

I'm still just not sure if I care about having a watch. I haven't worn once since I got used to carrying my phone in my pocket around 2006. I wear a Garmin when I run but I'm not sure I want to go back to always wearing a thing on my wrist. Perhaps it's because my schedule isn't such that I need to constantly check what's next?

EDIT: They got another 100 backers in the time it took to type this post. It's so popular I should buy one before they run out!
    This is now an old device and woot.com is selling refurbished units for $80 today. It's very tempting, but I'm still not sure I have a need for a smartwatch of any kind. I don't even wear a watch now. Please tell me what to do!?!?!?