Thread: Pixar

Pixar

I love this guy's reviews, and he sums up my feelings on Pixar's last five or six movies. I didn't even know this one existed, which is how I know A) it's not marketed toward me, and B) Pixar and I have lost touch.

Okay, Disney Animation Studio has officially taken all of the creativity and goodness out of Pixar, hence becoming the new Pixar.

After WALL-E and Up, Pixar's been kind of trash. Nothing terribly controversial there, I don't think anyone would disagree that Pixar's slid considerably since the crazy 1995-2009 era. But look at what they've been up to for the past five years:

• Toy Story 3 (2010, 99% RT) - Debatably the last really good movie Pixar has made. And it was a sequel.
    • Cars 2 (2011, 39% RT) - Beginning of the end.
    • Brave (2012, 78% RT) - Decent. Didn't blow anyone away.
    • Monsters University (2013, 78% RT) - I never even saw this one. Another sequel.
    • Inside Out (2015, 98% RT) - Ratings-wise, this one definitely pops back up, but I thought it was just "okay."

But holy crap, look at Disney Animation Studios' Pixar-style CG offerings over the same five year period:

• Tangled (2010, 90% RT) - Pretty awesome if you ask me.
    • Wreck-It Ralph (2012, 86% RT) - Loved it.
    • Frozen (2013, 89% RT) - Love it or hate it, your kids won't shut up about it.
    • Big Hero 6 (2014, 89% RT) - I thought this was fantastic.

I've reached the point, personally, where I'm way more excited about a Disney release than anything Pixar does. And in keeping form... this Zootopia trailer is a simple-ass joke, but it had me giggling my bongle right out.

Basically anything "Cars" or "Planes" is a steaming pile of crap movie-wise, but it's there to sell toys and grab advertiser money.

Almost everything else tends to be in the upper ratings.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

I must be a no culture something or other because I really liked Cars. Cars 2 and Planes were ok in my opinion too.

Quote Originally Posted by sheil View Post
    I must be a no culture something or other because I really liked Cars. Cars 2 and Planes were ok in my opinion too.
    Generally, despite low RottenTomatoes and Metacritic scores, the public agrees with you. Pixar's lowest "CinemaScore" (which actually measures audience response) rating ever was an A- for Cars 2.

I think the only people who didn't care for Cars (and who REALLY didn't care for Cars 2) are critics and people who consider themselves too good for NASCAR.

I am too good for NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Generally, despite low RottenTomatoes and Metacritic scores, the public agrees with you. Pixar's lowest "CinemaScore" (which actually measures audience response) rating ever was an A- for Cars 2.

I think the only people who didn't care for Cars (and who REALLY didn't care for Cars 2) are critics and people who consider themselves too good for NASCAR.

I am too good for NASCAR.
    I'm more of the "the plot sucked" kind of opinion. That, and Larry the Cable Guy makes me want to tear my ears off.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

I actually liked Frozen for a couple of reasons:

1 - The plot had a reasonably good twist at the end. Disney got away from the "Everything will be alright when a man saves you" plot finally.

2 - My daughter did not go crazy for it, and thus did not force me to buy loads of merchandise and play that song over and over and over.
    - Definitely

I never saw Toy Story 4, but I sure do appreciate the technologists at Pixar: