Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Presidential Debacle

Well, seems Trump's comments are having quite a few effects!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016...emarks-n383856
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

On Saturday Bernie was at an event in Seattle to commemorate the 50th of SS and Medicare. It wasn't a campaign rally for him in particular. Nevertheless some people claiming to be part of Black Lives Matter stormed the stage and screamed until they got to speak on the mic. They then tried to have 4.5 mins of silence for Michael Brown. Then they told the crowd "join us in holding Bernie Sanders accountable for his actions". Sanders had been totally hands off about the whole thing, but was like "fuck this" and walked down into the crowd and started shaking hands.

Well it turns out that these people may not even be actually in the BLM movement, but instead from some black nationalist movement that is co-opting the BLM movement. At least in Seattle.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...-Not-BLM-Sorta

Apparently one of the girls in that duo had on her facebook wall a pic with a friend and she made the comment that her friend knew her "back when I had a Sarah Palin pin on my backpack". I don't know how you go from being a Palin supporter to protesting for BLM unless something f'd up is going on.

Apparently some elements of BLM have apologized to Sanders. Other theories are that Clinton (maybe supporters of hers) are trying to do this to drive a wedge between Sanders and minorities. Partly because BLM hasn't crashed any of her rallies. You'd think if she were the more likely candidate they'd be trying to influence the person they think will win and not the "guy with no chance".

Edit: There were many people in the crowd pissed off about the takeover- even more so when they called the crowd "white supremicists" and whatnot. Also, Sanders did have an actually rally planned later in the evening for himself and like 15k people turned out. And he actually spoke.
    Last edited by Threnn; 08-09-2015 at 03:51 PM.

That is an odd intersection. I read a thing somewhere else that said essentially, "Hey, BLM folks, not everything is about you. You don't go to a cancer fundraiser and shout 'HIV is a thing too!!!'"

Bernie Sanders is doing better nationally right now than Obama was in 2007 (for the 2008 campaign). Still quite a ways to go, to catch up with Hillary. But the trends are promising for a Clintonless future, and early (likely) wins in Iowa and New Hampshire may generate additional momentum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

538 still doesn't like his chances because of the lack of meaningful endorsements. I don't honestly know enough about him to weigh in, but I don't trust Clinton and the Republicans are so dysfunctional, Jeb is even sounding like a reasonable option. Ugh.

It's not good when an ass like Jeb looks like the "moderate" Republican candidate.

What worries me more is the amount of support Trump has. It's disturbing.
    Oooh, shiny!

He doesn't have support. He has high poll numbers. Those don't always have a strong correlation, especially this far before any actual primaries. He's also getting more attention from the press than entire rest of the republican field which sure doesn't help.

It's like he is there to draw all the attention away from that shitpile to make them look good by comparison.
    Oooh, shiny!

Bush is not a "reasonable" option (IMO). He wants to cut the top tax rate back to where it was in the 80s. Low top rates are (a large) part of the cause of the wealth inequality that is hurting our economy. Putting them back down to the rate that arguably kicked off this downward trend is ignoring sound economics. They are already half what they were before Reagan fucked everything up.

Makes him a non-starter for me.

All the noise on the republican side is serving its purpose. You only hear about Hillary and her email account. You don't hear as much about Bernie and his town halls, or policy ideas, etc in the mainstream media. And in part the dems are doing it to themselves. Why? Because the DNC basically wanted Hillary to be "The One" so they tried to limit debates. Less debates means less coverage of debates, which means less messaging about left-sided issues being covered. And now supposedly the DNC is trying to talk other dems into running. Biden, even Kerry... Basically some alternative to Hillary to step in and take the spotlight. Apparently they don't want Bernie.

Unless something more dramatic comes out about Hillary, it'll end up being Clinton v. Bush/Rubio/Walker since that's what both establishments want. In that scenario, I'm not as sure about the outcome as I am about who ends up winning the nominations, but I'd put probably 60-70% odds on Hillary.

I hate that that's where I'm thinking it'll go, but I tend to put a great deal of faith in Nate Silver and that's the direction he's leaning currently so I have little reason to doubt.