Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153
Results 1,521 to 1,524 of 1524

Thread: NFL Football

So the 2018 Cardinals:

• hire a new head coach,
    • sign QB Sam Bradford for $20M/year,
    • sign QB Mike Glennon for $4M/year,
    • draft QB Josh Rosen 7th overall (and sign him for $4M/year)

...then they go 3-13 and fire, cut, and trade all of the above people after one year. Bradford and Glennon will soak $8M off AZ's cap in 2019 "dead money," and most of Rosen's contract has already been paid out in the form of a signing bonus, so MIA will have a first-round QB on their roster for the duration of his 4+ year rookie contract, and only be only the hook for his <$1M/year base salary.

Miami got a hell of a bargain, Arizona is a poorly run franchise, and Josh Rosen is a saint. Check out this video and tell me you're not rooting for him to succeed wherever he ends up:

https://twitter.com/josh3rosen/statu...36469412687872

Packers didn't bother to draft a WR, which got me thinking about that situation.

Back in 2010-2011, GB had such a talented WR group, McCarthy could just call vanilla plays and let those guys get open, and Rodgers would find them. As the WR group started to atrophy, that changed... and it's fun to chart out the deterioration of GB's offense, so here are the targets:

Jennings Nelson Driver Jones Cobb Adams
    2011 101 96 56 55 31 (rookie) McCarthy looks like a genius
    2012 61 (injured) 73 (injured) 13 (old) 98 104 Injuries take their toll
    2013 GONE 127 GONE 93 47 (injured) A real void opens up, and Jarret Boykin steps in
    2014 GONE 151 GONE GONE 127 66 (rookie) Two main guys healthy for the last time
    2015 GONE 0 (injured) GONE 99 129 94 Nelson injured in preseason, Jones comes back
    2016 GONE 152 GONE GONE 84 (injured) 121 Adams starts to come on, Nelson loses a step
    2017 GONE 88 (old) GONE GONE 92 117 Rodgers' injured year, Nelson exposed as old and slow
    2018 GONE GONE GONE GONE 61 (injured) 169 #2 behind Adams is now TE Graham
    2019 GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE ? Original five all gone now

After 2011, there was only one season where the top two preferred WRs were healthy for all 16 games (2014). Coincidentally, that's the only year after 2011 that the offense was any good.

You might ask why I have all those columns filled in with "GONE" and never add new columns for all the exciting new WRs that come in to fill the gaps? Because there aren't any. Geronimo Allison is the closest to a proper replacement, and he had 30 targets in 2018 before hitting IR.

I don't blame the shitty WRs for the bad offense, though. McCarthy seemingly never realized he'd lost that golden 2011 group, and never changed his playcalling to compensate.

Matt LaFleur's offense appears predicated on A) running, and B) scheming guys open by disguising their routes, rather than just dropping them into 1v1 scenarios and saying "get separation." That plus the return of Geronimo, a full year of Kumerow, the development of their 3 new rookies (MVS, EQ, and Moore), has me optimistic.
    Last edited by Macheath; 04-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Packers have a lot of injuries over the course of several years, and fans who don't know how the human body works go to the team's website and see Mark Lovat's name at the top of the Strength & Conditioning section. So they start howling on Twitter about firing Mark Lovat.

Finally, the team caves to pressure and hires a new guy (Chris Gizzi) to coordinate that department, but since they know perfectly well Lovat is doing a fine job, they keep him onboard as well. Maybe the intent was to take some of the negative focus off poor Lovat, or maybe it's a real demotion, but regardless I'm impressed that he stuck around. I probably would have left to seek a new job.

Football fans are idiots. Mark Lovat didn't break Aaron Rodgers' collarbone.

Double doink hit the Bears pretty hard. They cut Cody Parkey on the first day of the 2019 league season, then brought in eight kickers for a tryout, had them each attempt identical 43-yard FGs, and 6/8 of them missed. So now they've traded for a kicker. Let's watch!