Page 157 of 158 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1575

Thread: NFL Football

Leaving aside the whole "questionable officiating" issue, I have a different question about Monday's game:

What are your opinions on Jamaal Williams deliberately not scoring a touchdown with about 1:32 left in the game?

I can see both sides. Keeping control of the clock is smart, but that *assumes* the field goal unit will make the field goal. You never know when a bad snap, bad hold, or something else might cause a miss, even at that distance.

Since the Packers would have been up by 5 points, Detroit would have had to score a touchdown with 1:32 and no time outs. Since the Packer defense was playing so well, that seems unlikely.

Clearly the defender wanted to allow Williams to score, so the opposing side must have also felt that was the smart play.

I think in the end I fall on the "sit down and leave it up to your field goal unit" side, but it's not an obvious call.
    - Definitely

Any time the defense wants you to do something, you probably shouldn't.

I'd rather take the 90+ percent shot at a ~20 yard FG, if the alternative is Rodgers sitting on the sideline while Matthew Stafford hucks Hail Mary after Hail Mary down the field.

The defense was doing fine, but all it takes is one lapse in coverage (see also: first quarter).

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Preston and Za'Darius Smith(s) have been dynamite, man.
    They do these cute joint press conferences, too. I love these guys.

Reporter: [asks about starting 6-1]
    Za'Darius: Never. Four years in Baltimore, we never been 6-1. What about the- [looks at Preston] -nope, not the Redskins neither.
    Preston: [under his breath] Dang.

link

EDIT: On that goal line stand, I actually think Jaire might have been the reason they came up short. He diagnosed the play (not that it was super tough to figure out) and knifed in to hit Jacobs' legs, got him spinning.
    Last edited by Macheath; 10-20-2019 at 05:04 PM.

This is the best overhead-tracking-camera-thing EDIT: "Skycam" shot I can remember seeing, ever:

https://old.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...ickoff_return/
    Last edited by Macheath; 10-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Just saw a post on reddit about remaining strength of schedule, so I went and looked up some NFC teams.

The "so far" numbers don't include wins/losses vs. the team in question.

• Packers (6-1): 0.560 so far, 0.560 remaining
    • Vikings (6-2): 0.430 so far, 0.540 remaining
    • 49ers (6-0): 0.330 so far, 0.630 remaining
    • Seahawks (5-2): 0.510 so far, 0.620 remaining

Packers schedule has been tough, and doesn't get any easier. The Niners have had a Patriot-esque cupcake up to this point (but of course, the Patriots' cupcakes continue while the Niners' do not).

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Double doink hit the Bears pretty hard. They cut Cody Parkey on the first day of the 2019 league season, then brought in eight kickers for a tryout, had them each attempt identical 43-yard FGs, and 6/8 of them missed. So now they've traded for a kicker. Let's watch!
    Eddy Piņeiro just doinked one off the right upright from 33 yards, then hooked a game winner wide left from 41 as time expired. 3/5 on the day, but he'll get 100% of the blame for the Bears loss. Poor dude.

"Heal Points" are really cool. Nicely explained, thorough post describing the methodology. And importantly, it ranks the Patriots as 10th best team in the NFL right now.

I like that. Really helps answer the "how good are they really?" question.