Page 4 of 155 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Football

I don't know whether the Packers played like shit (which wouldn't surprise me) or the Lions played awesome (which they always seem to do against the Packers, especially on Thanksgiving), but that game was fucking close. And yet another heartbreakingly close loss for the Lions, which makes me sad. Not too sad this week, though.

Also, it looks like Detroit caught Penalty Herpes from their contact with Green Bay. Sorry man.

I think the Lions are better than they have been in a long time. They are going to hurt someone this year and it was almost the Packers today.

The Bears luck seemed to run out tonight. It will be interesting to see if Cutler can return next week given the NFL's strict concussion policy.

Call me crazy but I think the Vikings are the weakest team in the division.

I didn't need too much from Cutler and Forte tonight, in order to win my fantasy matchup. Around 12 points. Instead, I got a combined 5.40 points. Including 0.10 from Cutler. Who was sacked nine times in the first half before leaving and not being able to remember his name.

Yeah, I'd say their luck's run out.

My GB/Det observations, and how I lost $20 betting against my team while they still tore my heart out:

1. Let's go back to the 0-16 season. Detroit played Minnesota hard both times, similar to yesterday. Same result, a loss is a loss. Even if they punch a TD in after that fumbled kickoff making is 30-28 or 31-28, Packers still would have methodically marched down and won, or tied at the very least. The Lions are not improved as I see it, watch for the huge letdown loss to St. Louis next week.
    2. The Lions did the only possible thing that could have made this close - control the ball. Is there any doubt that the Pack would have scored 45 at will if Detroit wouldn't have been running a fairly successful short yard game? Not in my mind, Rogers is awesome.
    3. The last drive....really Lions? They nullified the running game all day, and when it really counts, GB plods down the field at will. Where was that all day, it looked like a green and gold cat playing with a helpless mouse.
    4. I gave up WoW for this? Woodson scores, 28-14, I need 3 more points to cover, life is good since the Lions are gonna lose anyway, so I'll watch one more drive and play WoW....wait, maybe, just maybe the Lions NEED me to watched every snap to get that once every 20 year victory in Wisconsin, yeah, because pro football players feed off psychic energy from drunk fat guys 80 miles away. Heart stomped out of my chest, check. Way too buzzed to play Uno with the family afterwards, check. $20 less, check. Could have had an hour of WoW, but wasted my time, check.

What a great afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by digiphreak View Post
    Call me crazy but I think the Vikings are the weakest team in the division.
    I would say this is pretty crazy and not just because I am a fan of the vikings. last week everyone was saying how bad the vikings were to only beat the lions by two touchdowns while letting them take a couple shots to reduce the lead to one score in garbage time. Now because the lions also played the packers tough they are better then the vikings? I Don't think that the vikings woes at receiver and cornerback has them dropping from the best team in the division to the worst. they may not be the best team this year but the early schedule combined with some missing pieces certainly does not make them the worst.

In fact I think the packer lions game really told us that the lions are in fact steadily improving and the packers are far from a perfect defensive team.

Quote Originally Posted by desolation View Post
    I Don't think that the vikings woes at receiver and cornerback has them dropping from the best team in the division to the worst.
    and offensive line

and quarterback

and coach

Quote Originally Posted by thumblewort View Post
    1. Let's go back to the 0-16 season.
    Let's not. Detroit is not that shitty team anymore, they've got huge piles of talent on both sides of the ball. They won't finish 10-6, but they're going to scare some teams this year (like they did yesterday) and pull off a few wins. They'll also have plenty of stinkers, and lose games handily. It's an inconsistent team right now.

The Packers, on the other hand, have got some shit to figure out. I wonder if McCarthy has noticed yet that when he's got four WRs and a WR-like TE on the field in a spread formation, and Rodgers is working from the shotgun, his offense blazes up and down the field scoring touchdowns every thirty seconds? Why the fuck does he keep trying so hard to do anything else? Why the fuck can't he keep his foot on the gas pedal? Why the fuck doesn't the Bill Belichick formula of "oh, this is working, let's keep doing this until it's 56-3 and we can rest our starters" ever enter into Green Bay's thinking? Are they too polite or some shit? Fuck.

Figure it out, assholes.

3. The last drive....really Lions? They nullified the running game all day, and when it really counts, GB plods down the field at will. Where was that all day, it looked like a green and gold cat playing with a helpless mouse.
    The Packers were saving their secret weapon (John Kuhn) for the last drive.

4. I gave up WoW for this?
    I'd give up WoW for a sandwich. But that's me.

Deso, QFT on your post, Minn is not the weakest team in the NFC Central, Detroit is. Now that the Lions have lost to all 3 Central opponents (trifecta baby!!!), and I watched every agonizing minute of said games, IMHO, the whole conference needs to be retuned, 9-7 might win it. Based on totally flawed logic, Detroit lost to Chiago by 5, GB by 2, and Minnesota by 14, all on the road, therefore by my unscientific research, Minnesota is the strongest team in the Central.

Mac, I normally am not so down on the Lions, but I watched 95% of every minute played for 35+ years, including the last 2 seasons, and I see the same trends happening this year. I have never heard so much rah-rah about the Lions as I have this year, and while it sorta feels nice, 0-4 is 0-4. I'll begrudgingly (sp) will say they are improved, but until there is a "W", or more then 3 wins, I will remain a very discouraged fan.

Wow. The Packers have got an absolutely brutal stretch from here to their bye week.

Week 5: @ Washington
    Week 6: Miami
    Week 7: Minnesota
    Week 8: @ NYJ
    Week 9: Dallas
    Week 10: BYE

Thank Yellow Snow three of the five are at home, but holy crap. They'd better get their offense uncorked in a hurry, if they want to cover for the deficiencies they've got on defense, particularly with all the injuries in the secondary. They're down to one healthy safety of any quality (Nick Collins) and they won't be getting Al Harris and Atari Bigby back from the PUP list until after week 6... at which point they can start practicing, and will by no means necessarily be ready to play.

If Green Bay is 6-3 at the bye, I'll be happy.

And wow, is this right? Here's a list of all the players on IR in the league so far. The NFC North looks like this (players on IR since Week 1 in bold):

Chicago Bears
    • 8/11/2010 QB Mike Teel
    • 8/12/2010 DT Averell Spicer
    • 8/12/2010 RB Harvey Unga
    • 8/21/2010 LB Matt Mayberry
    • 8/26/2010 WR Eric Peterman
    • 9/7/2010 CB Woodny Turenne
    • 9/14/2010 LB Hunter Hillenmeyer

Detroit Lions
    • 8/12/2010 DT Joe Cohen
    • 8/17/2010 OLB Jordon Dizon
    • 8/20/2010 TE Richard Dickson
    • 8/21/2010 DB Jahi Word-Daniels
    • 8/24/2010 G Roy Schuening
    • 8/27/2010 G Trevor Canfield
    • 8/28/2010 DE Jared DeVries
    • 9/1/2010 FS David Roach
    • 9/2/2010 FB Jake Nordin
    • 9/6/2010 DB T.J. Rushing
    • 9/7/2010 LB Korey Bosworth
    • 9/14/2010 DB Aaron Berry

Green Bay Packers
    • 8/8/2010 WR Jeff Moturi
    • 8/14/2010 DB Josh Bell
    • 9/3/2010 RB Quinn Porter
    • 9/6/2010 CB Will Blackmon
    • 9/7/2010 T Allen Barbre
    • 9/13/2010 DL Justin Harrell
    • 9/14/2010 RB Ryan Grant
    • 10/4/2010 SS Morgan Burnett

Minnesota Vikings
    • 8/21/2010 WR Jaymar Johnson
    • 9/2/2010 LB Jeremy Leman

Just another year of the Vikings getting lucky as fuck.