Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Reality

My wife discourages me from leaning towards anything that costs $800.

Ohhhh my goodness this is p. cool

Japanese people are fuckin annoying dude

Administrator
    dammit.

Pretty neat, skip ahead to like 19:30 or so if you want to see them actually start using the thing rather than just talk about it.

I had the opportunity to use an HTC Vive last weekend. It's definitely the most immersive and amazing VR experience I've had. My brother has been on the VR bandwagon since the first Occulus came out and I've had the opportunity to try each Occulus as it came out. The Occulus (especially the latest one) looks amazing but they've all made me physically ill after only 10-15 minutes of playing. The last time I played it, it took over 6 hours before I felt normal again. I played the HTC Vive for 2 hours and felt no ill effects at any point. I think the huge thing for this is the positional tracking and the invention of a teleporting mechanic that allows you to move around an environment without the disconnect of moving your virtual body but not your physical one. That was a huge nausea trigger for me with the Occulus. The chaperone system is great, I was free to walk around and I never felt like I was going to run into something, I did run into my kids a few times but they were not respecting the play area. The games all feel like demos only, they're great demos and very engaging but I don't see too much replay-ability in any of them. My favorite was Job Simulator, it really highlighted the positional tracking of the controllers and was hilarous. I don't see myself getting one of these until there is more compelling content.

Yeah, everything out for any VR system right now just feels like a demo. Maybe some fun demos (Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption) but no "real games." Once Dark Souls or Elder Scrolls or Halo gets a VR edition, people will start paying attention.

Edit: Shit, Elite Dangerous might be enough to sell me.

Hey Drewbie you should get a Vive for sure

That holds absolutely no appeal.