Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMITE

SMITE

I love me some Smite, and this is a very pretty trailer, but the action is way too confusing. Anybody new looking at this would be like "who are these people and which team is anyone on"

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Anybody new looking at this would be like "who are these people and which team is anyone on"
    Can confirm, this was my exact thought while watching that. The trailer was really well done, no damn clue what the hell is going on in it.

I watched a bunch of the poorly-timed Smite World Championship 2016 this past weekend. Same weekend as the Dota 2 Shanghai Qualifiers, AGDQ marathon fundraiser, and NFL Wildcard round. Whatever, they chose the date, I'm sure it worked out fine.

Anyway it was pretty cool to watch and made me want to play some SMITE. China got obliterated, then in the semifinals it was EU-vs-NA in both games, and one of each advanced to the finals, where EU (Epsilon) destroyed NA (Enemy). Every time they turned on the EU comms, it sounded like a bunch of Swedish chefs. It was angermaking. I wanted the 13-year-olds from the USA to win.

There was a shitload of:

Solo: Bellona, Xing Tian, Sobek, Osiris
    Support: Khepri, Ymir, Bacchus, Geb, Guan Yu
    Carry: Sol, Chiron, Freya, Xbalanque, Cupid
    Jungle: Hun Batz, Thor, Serqet, Fenrir, Mercury, Ne Zha
    Mid: Zhong Kui, Zeus, Janus, Isis, Neith

Sol, Chiron, and Xing Tian were very common bans. Xing Tian and Sol were the most common first-picks (followed by Bellona), assuming they weren't banned.

One thing you might notice is a lack of healing (i.e. Ra, Aphrodite, Hel, Chang'e). And it's not like there was a Guan Yu in every game, so many just had No Healing. It was kind of weird. But it seemed to work.

I also never saw any Artemis, Cabrakan, Scylla, Ao Kuang, Odin, Vulcan, Ares, Hercules... well, lots of gods never came up. But some seemed conspicuously absent.
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-11-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendruil View Post
    Can confirm, this was my exact thought while watching that. The trailer was really well done, no damn clue what the hell is going on in it.
    I just rewatched it. No less confusing. But here's my best interpretation:

Team A is: Bellona (purty lady with sword and shield), Ymir (frost giant), and Loki (trickster with horned helmet).

Team B is: Sun Wukong (monkey god with staff who turns into a bull), Neith (naked woman with bow and arrows), and Thor (flying dude with hammer).

The trailer is doing a lot of flashing back and forth in time. In the scenes that look like nighttime with lots of fire, Team A is fighting a giant fire man (i.e. the Fire Giant) who is a map objective: if you kill him you get a big buff. In the other scenes, you can see Team A has got some glowy fire shit around their eyes, which is probably supposed to represent said Fire Giant buff. Which is why they pretty solidly kick Team B's ass.

In real life, Team B would have lost a long time earlier, because they went with 3 physical and zero supports, so Team A would have just bought a bunch of physical defense.

One thing you might notice is a lack of healing (i.e. Ra, Aphrodite, Hel, Chang'e). And it's not like there was a Guan Yu in every game, so many just had No Healing. It was kind of weird. But it seemed to work.
    Ah, the ol' "They can't kill us if they're dead" strategy. I like it. Are there any VODs or anything out there for the tournament? I'd like to see how they cover competitive SMITE

I also never saw any Artemis, Cabrakan, Scylla, Ao Kuang, Odin, Vulcan, Ares, Hercules... well, lots of gods never came up. But some seemed conspicuously absent.
    I wonder if they do something like dota where certain heroes are just completely removed from tournaments because they would be picked in EVERY match which makes for boring/repetitive team comps. Drow Ranger for example is never seen in competitive dota because she literally is not available. Otherwise she'd be in every match or be a compulsory ban.

I just rewatched it. No less confusing. But here's my best interpretation:
    Well shit, I think you're right. Two timelines, played simultaneously, but one comes directly after the other. They're definitely getting the fire buff, then winning a team fight. video even starts and ends with the transition scene of a close-up of Bellona face as she reacts to receiving the fire giant's seed buff.

It seems like a really fucking weird way to show that, and the title of the video "To Hell & Back" doesn't make any damn sense, but it is a really well done video.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Are there any VODs or anything out there for the tournament? I'd like to see how they cover competitive SMITE
    Yes indeed:

Official brackets on SMITE's site
    Official Twitch channel

Day 1 VOD - Placement Rounds (Thursday, 1/7)
    Day 2 VOD - Quarter Finals (Friday, 1/8)
    Day 3 VOD - Semi Finals (Saturday, 1/9)
    Day 4 VOD - Grand Finals (Sunday, 1/10)

Each of those is like 8-10 hours long, you'll have to click around a bit. There's actually two parallel tournaments mixed together, the PC version and the Xbox version. If you don't see one of these teams playing, you can skip ahead like 4 hours to find the "real" tournament. Teams to look for are Cloud9/Enemy (NA), Epsilon/Paradigm/Fnatic (EU), OMG/QG (China).

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    I wonder if they do something like dota where certain heroes are just completely removed from tournaments because they would be picked in EVERY match which makes for boring/repetitive team comps. Drow Ranger for example is never seen in competitive dota because she literally is not available. Otherwise she'd be in every match or be a compulsory ban.
    Interesting, I have no idea.

I'm bored so I'm making timecode links to each match.

Day 1 (best of 1):

1. Isurus vs. Epsilon: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    2. Pain vs. OMG: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    3. Avant Garde vs. Enemy: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    4. Fnatic vs. QG: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    5. Epsilon vs. Pain: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    6. Enemy vs. Fnatic: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    7. Isurus vs. OMG: Picks & Bans, Game Start
    8. Avant Garde vs. QG: Picks & Bans, Game Start

Day 2 (best of 3):

Day 3 (best of 5):

Day 4 (best of 5):

Now I'm even more bored. I will probably die before I finish all those. Well you know how it is, sometimes you get on a roll.
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-11-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Holy crap! Thanks!

Could you also flag games that are particularly good?

Man, watching this dude play Susano makes me feel inadequate.

Dota 2 just revealed their "first original hero since release" (i.e. not one taken directly from WC3/DotA) and it's... the Monkey King, a.k.a. Sun Wukong, who is a Chinese god and already exists as a playable MOBA character in Smite.

That's what passes for "original?"