Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Murderer

Making a Murderer

I'm watching it. And I'm keeping this link handy (and probably others) to read once I get done, because I've heard a lot of shady shit about this documentary.

I'm refusing to watch it because I lived through (by virtue of proximity) the original event and trial, I have no doubt of his guilt. I think the documentarians are trying to get press, hey it worked!

It was pretty compelling (and sometimes "yell at the screen") stuff. He clearly was not guilty of the original thing on the beach, but I'm guessing you're past that. I won't make further comments until after you're done. I'll just say that most normal people would right away have questions about certain aspects.

The thing I've read repeatedly is that the documentary hasn't presented all the evidence that was presented at trial. I'm sure you could take most trials, rearrange the evidence and create a new story.

I think they're trying to play off the popularity of Serial and this was another wacky murder trial, but in this case I think the trial verdict was pretty clean.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I think they're trying to play off the popularity of Serial and this was another wacky murder trial
    Well, maybe, but I gather the filmmakers had been working on MaM for like 10 years. I'm sure they couldn't help being influenced by Serial, but I don't think it was their entire impetus. That said, stuff like Serial and "The Stairway" tell both sides of the story and wobble back and forth. MaM is super one-sided so far. I'd certainly say the video of the kid's interrogation was pretty shitty, but there's plenty of other evidence they've either breezed over or left out entirely, and we haven't heard a breath of a single word from the state prosecutors outside footage of their press releases at the time.

Disclaimer: I'm only 3 episodes in.

(on the phone)

Associated Press: "Would you describe Brendan as smart?"

Steven Avery: "Uh....." <long pause> "...not really."

(later on the news)

News Reader: "Steven Avery describes his nephew as not very smart, film at eleven."

Brendan's Attorney: "I think the words not very smart are meant to imply consequences for Brendan if he should testify against his uncle."

Good Christ. I hate the media.

It's also very frustrating to listen to all these extremely dumb people talking to each other.

Brendan: "They said my statement was inconsistent. What does inconsistent mean?"

Brendan's Mother: "I'm not sure."

Brendan: "Like it's not true?"

Brendan's Mother: "I dunno."

I mean, dumb people deserve to be treated fairly too. It's just that much more awful to listen to given that these people are like confused animals.

I super agree

apparently her name is Angenette Levy and, spoiler alert, she's 10 years older now

Edit: Turns out she also has some things to say about evidence that was left out of the show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-15-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Well, I finished it. This guy summarizes a lot of the uncovered evidence and apparently feels the same way I did by the end of the series: it's so one-sided, and seems to leave so much out, that I honestly have no idea whether Avery or Dassey is guilty. They may very well be. But the system is definitely fucked up, and the amount of shitty interrogation, shitty lawyering, and possible evidence tampering that occurred did so much to obscure the truth that if the jury was actually right, it's pure luck.

Pretty much that. It seems like the shadows are there in the doc. Why would a guy with a car smasher not smash the shit out of it? Etc.

Maybe because he was dumb. Maybe because he thought he could sell it? I don't know. His former girlfriend came out recently basically saying she was afraid to say anything bad about him because she thought he would hurt her. He was abusive, etc. And she thought he might have done it. Maybe she was trying to get away. I have no clue. Maybe that whole "I'll go to jail if I see him" was just bs so she could gtfo.

But she didn't want to take part in the doc, so that never even comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I'd certainly say the video of the kid's interrogation was pretty shitty
    I still don't know about Avery (and luckily it's not my job to decide anything on the basis of a biased Netflix series) but I'm super glad his nephew's conviction has been overturned. He's not out of the woods, he'll probably need to endure another trial (and win) but at least this time he won't have a complete shitfuck of a lawyer. One would hope.