Thread: I just played ****, and IMHO....

I just played ****, and IMHO....

I just played Tales of Arabian Nights for the first time last night. Our regular rpg was cancelled so we played this board game and it is...

Fantastic! You're a character (I was Aladdin, someone else was Alibaba, etc). You start off with a few skills and you travel the known world (basically everything but the new world) trying to complete quests and earning story and destiny points. If I had to pic other games that it has elements of I would say Talisman(encounters, conditions, items, advancement)/Warhammer Quest(tables and tables of possibilities) meets "Choose your own adventure".

When you have an encounter you pick how you'll react from a list of options for that particular encounter and that combined with what skills you have, and a little chance from a roll, determines the outcome. The outcome is looked up is a huge book with hundreds of outcomes.

Whoever reaches the amount of story/destiny they "bid" first and returns to Baghdad wins! Basically.

Here is a review I just looked up to give you a video idea of the gameplay.

I just played Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and IMHO the combat sucks, which kills the whole game.

It's super easy, an Arkham-style, counter-attack-based button masher. You can just about win a fight by rolling your face on the keyboard. Stealth, ranged combat, up close and personal combat finishers and brutalities, and it all looks fine, but it's just... limp and boring. To compensate for the easiness, you end up fighting 50+ orcs at a time. Which isn't even a problem, if your only objective is to kill them all. You'll just get bored.

But toward the end of the game, there's a big final quest to "mark all the War Chiefs," which basically involves beating them up and dominating them with your magic bullshit. Which is fucking impossible when there are 50 orcs swarming around you, and every one you kill causes 5 more to come flooding in.

I could fight them all day, but in the process of fluidly swooping around and stabbing minor orcs to death, I'll accidentally kill my main target (rather than marking him). Or he'll flee. Or I'll boot him off a bridge and he'll fall to his death. There's no reliable way to clear a space and give yourself the three seconds it takes to brand/mark your main target. I fucking hate it. I'm at the very end of the game, and I just uninstalled because the combat is bad.

Speaknig of Shadow of Moprdor

I just beat Celeste, and IMHO what the frick do you want from me Celeste
    Attached Images Attached Images