Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Generation Am I Anyway?

WTF Generation Am I Anyway?

Born in 1979 as I was, depending on the definition used, I'm either part of the very tail end of "Generation X" or the very leading edge of "Generation Y." I'm deprived, and I imagine many of you are in the same boat: I've never felt like I had a good label I could use to give everyone else a preconceived notion of how sarcastic or optimistic I might turn out to be. Huge social disadvantage.

One thing I am sure of is that I'd rather not be in Gen-Y, where they keep all the Millennials. Gross.

This sort of "tweener" generation, I don't know how long it lasted, but I feel like it's more tech-savvy than those who came before, but it had to learn its way around the internet rather than being born literally on Twitter already, as kids much younger than me apparently are. The internet was an exciting novelty when I was starting high school. And the way tech comes and goes, if you say "AOL" or "Napster" to some people, they think you might be talking about a Brontosaurus.

I kind of like the label "Oregon Trail Generation." Which is why I made this thread, to share that link. We don't have a thread for making fun of Millennials, so this is now that.

Administrator
    Speaking of Snake People, if you haven't already installed Millennials to Snake People, consider doing so.

I think you're safe, Mac, since you are safely born in the 70s with us cool-kid Gen Xers. all those 80/90's babies, though, they definitely spawned from cold-blooded serpentes eggs

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Speaking of Snake People, if you haven't already installed Millennials to Snake People, consider doing so.
    The number of :%s///gc extensions it takes to keep you mentally stimulated must make it almost impossible to know what anybody is talking about.

I am precisely described by the Oregon Trail Generation. When I think about the number of hours I spent at a computer that wasn't networked to other computers I'm astonished. And based on my music sharing in college I should still be in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I kind of like the label "Oregon Trail Generation." Which is why I made this thread, to share that link. We don't have a thread for making fun of Millennials, so this is now that.
    Speaking of which, you can still play this and many other games!

Baby Boomers are hawkish because of their upbringing. Their parents were returning WWII vets (who raised them to be sympathetic to the military), the Korean War happened while they were 5-10 years old, they dealt with the Vietnam War when they were anywhere from 10-30 years old, and once they were 35-40 years old and ruling the world, they were getting us into their own series of wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo...

Meanwhile, the rest of us grew up with those shitty little wars instead of the grand Wars (with a capital W) of the twentieth century and therefore have no feelings of romantic patriotism when it comes to getting shot. Our parents and grandparents obsess more over what happens in Syria than in their own back yard, which annoys us.

We have one final wave of Presidential candidates in their sixties, and then in 4-8 years they'll all be too old to campaign. Not too old to vote, which will still give us the 45-year-old Ted Cruzes of the world holding office against all odds, but voters are getting younger too.

Why do I mention any of this? I don't know, I guess I was just talking to somebody in their sixties who thinks war is awesome and I'm fucking sick of it.

hahahaha millennials!

Every word of that article was satisfying to read.

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    This seems pertinent:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    hahahaha millennials!

Every word of that article was satisfying to read.
    ah, justice.