Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WTF Generation Am I Anyway?

It sounds plausible. I don't know if the problems are surmountable or not.

My parents didn't need my help. That was lucky. I never had any major health problems. Lucky. I wasn't looking for a job during the recession, and I had a marketable degree, but both of those elements are pretty much pure luck too. I could just as easily have stuck with my Music Education plans in college, and been totally fucked. I got a job at a big company in 2006, and clung to it through the crash before moving on, but what if I'd gotten laid off?

If I graduated in 2007, stayed near home to take care of my ailing parents, went two years without finding a job as a band director, ended up abandoning my degree to work at a small shop where I had no benefits and didn't make enough to leave the town I was in for a better opportunity, how do I "surmount" that?

Yeah, that seems plausible, but also an opportunity to change paths and do something else. I was laid off in 2009 and managed to recover. Lots of IF's.

This guy just had a Eureka Moment regarding social media:

https://pjrvs.com/whale/

I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    This guy just had a Eureka Moment regarding social media:
    My life is so frickin' exciting you wouldn't believe it even if I did post pics of my adventures. #humblebrag #manofadventure #hashtagscreateimportance

Saw this article linked on Facebook, and it's on vox.com which is a pretty reasonable site, so I thought I'd give it a read. For the most part it's illuminating, interesting, describes a real and unfortunate problem, and then in a quote toward the very end,

"...fucked up behaviors that stem from negative influences from straight, white culture..."
    Come on. It's a whole story about gays being mean to each other, and we still find a way to blame straight white people.

...and we still find a way to blame straight white people.
    Because we are the worst people on the planet. We formed, cultivated, and propagate a system of intrinsic racism and sexism so deeply ingrained in our culture people who are oppressed by it can't even see it. I site your trouble with this article as Exhibit A.

Thank you, I laughed out loud at your response and I think it might be the best possible response.

I would watch this unemployed Bohemian millennial hula-hoop again, though I will probably need to mute her music choices.

Made me chuckle. Would post it on Facebook but would get crucified by all the nonbinary millennials on there.