Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WTF Generation Am I Anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    People these days seem to loose context or assume ill intent in favor of seeing an opportunity to be offended.
    People will lose almost anything if they spot an opportunity to take offense. I hate it.

Man, millennials will need to learn all the same lessons previous generations learned, I guess.

STREAMER: What we do is <describes Ponzi scheme at a high level>
    CALLER: So it's a Ponzi scheme.
    STREAMER: No, it's obviously not a Ponzi scheme, duh. I guess it's hard to explain. <describes a Ponzi scheme in more detail>
    CALLER: That's a Ponzi scheme.
    STREAMER: No.

I was in a car with a couple ~25-year-olds on our way to lunch today, and the radio was playing some awful, excessively auto-tuned mumble rap, and I just sighed and said, "I miss 90s rap." Suddenly they were both excited. Like what? Who? Who's your favorite? I mean, I'm not gonna suggest I was a big rap lover in the 90s (or now, for that matter) but I definitely pulled up "Break Ya Neck" and blew their poor minds. Something that takes talent. Mumble rap is so bad.

I hate bullshit music.

Administrator
    I like to think of myself as a connoisseur of many many types of music, and I'm always open to listen to new things. I have a rather diverse collection of music, including, of course, a large amount of hip hop covering all the major epochs of the genre... that is of course except for "mumble rap". early on i jumped on the "this is pure garbage" bandwagon, but then at some point i realized i wasn't' really giving it a fare shake as i had not properly /tried/ to listen to it. I set a goal for myself of listening to ONLY mumble rap for one solid week, and i have to say, i got hooked on some of it. There's some crap, for sure, but that's true for every genre of music. I still regularly listen to some mumble rap artists, especially Future (he's kind of the "godfather" of mumble rap), and I must say, this particular song is so good that i regularly get it stuck in my head and have to listen to it. Here it is for your listening experiment. The trap beat gets me moving, the eerie flute/singing sets the mood, and the purposeful lyrics tell Future's personal story of overcoming the absolute shit situation he was born into, overcoming, and growing into the success he is today.

I mean, damn. This song is just so good. Then, as if it couldn't be any better, Kendrick Lamar does a remix and absolutely KILLS it, holy crap. it's sooooooo good.

Long story short, after giving it an honest shot, I get it now, there is a LOT of really good "mumble rap" out there. This one song is just one small example.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I googled around to see what other people thought of this particular song and noticed that Rolling Stone magazine has it listed as the 10th best song of 2017, heyo!

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    The trap beat gets me moving, the eerie flute/singing sets the mood, and the purposeful lyrics tell Future's personal story of overcoming the absolute shit situation he was born into, overcoming, and growing into the success he is today.
    Yup, well, I agree mostly. The background beat is good, the flute sounds are cool. The purposeful lyrics are wasted, because they come in the form of the same marble-mouthed, auto-tuned package as any other mumble rap. Just can't get over it. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad, right?

I hate the stuff. It's small dick energy. Future could be rapping the story of the billion dollars he's gonna give me, and I'd still be trying to leave the room.

EDIT: In 2035, when this is the only music left, I'll look back and wonder how I ever hated it.
    Last edited by Macheath; 05-07-2019 at 06:06 PM.

trying to decide whether to roll both eyes into the back of my head, or just one
    Attached Images Attached Images

The year is 2027. President Yang is still picking up the pieces after Elizabeth Warren's untimely demise thrust him into the spotlight. The Apple party is pushing to outlaw suicide streams on public transit, and nuclear proliferation is heating up the conflict between Snapchat and TikTok.