Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: so you want to know about Disney, Oblivious style

Christ. I'm pretty sure I could put that "lunch" together from my breakroom vending machines for less than $10!

I think it's time to start planning a Disney trip myself. My wife has never been, while I've been a few times. I'd like to get her there before kids start coming along, and I thought anniversary time would be a good time. Our anniversary is late January. When should I start looking for deals, flights, etc.?

We do have access to a Sams club membership, so I'll try to keep that in mind when the time comes.

Oh oh oh! I know this one! You should start booking immediately!!!

You've already missed the first day to reserve dinners and what not, but you probably don't care about the character breakfast in the castle. We're planning a trip for a week starting 1/26/17 and my wife booked stuff in late July. That is a good time to go though, look for calendars about slow times. Mid January is the busy marathon time, then Valentines week is busy, but in that range are 2-3 slow weeks. In any case if that's your time frame start looking now. If you're flexible you can probably leverage deals and Threnn can pontificate on those all day.

Yeah. Start booking now. go to mousesavers.com and you can find discounts. such as play and stay and the room discount is below it.

play and stay is for a discount on the meal plan. no discount on room/tickets. If only two of you are going in a room the room discount may save you more and you won't be locked into a dining plan.

Speaking of.. bout halfway thru our trip here and I wanted to comment on the free dining we got while it is fresh. The short: more than enough food.

The long: We came here thinking that only having 2 credits per day would mean we had to buy breakfast or whatnot. So we brought some bagels and poptarts to supplement. However, because you can swap out the drink for an extra side and the dessert for an extra side, coupled with the sheer amount you get on your plate (and maybe with two kids- although one seems to be eating as much as I), we are actually finding it hard to keep up on using credits. It wont help that we have an off credit buffet next week. but so far it is like we have a feast for both lunch and dinner, and breakfast is pretty good too.

We definitely saved $$$. lunch would have cost 90$ today. Dinner last night was 90. We normally spend ~130 per day total. crazy. gtg

Whelp, we didn't do Disney back in January '17, and last year and this year were ridiculously busy at work. Now we both have 3 weeks of PTO to use or lose, and have both earned significant promotions/raises. I've been talking up Disney and finally have Wife looking into it. She pointed me to this Disney blog post about the Ultimate Christmas Package, and we'll be calling to book in the next few days. I'm sure it can be done cheaper, but I've never been to Disney at Christmas and this seems to cover ALL of it plus the special Christmas stuff. Also, cheap me gets overwhelmed whenever I look at all this shit and it has actually stopped me from going before. With extra cash and time off, I'm ignoring my frugal tendencies and making it fucking RAIN. Shit, I'm even thinking about flying business/first class. We really need this vacation.

We called the number in that blog post and they told us we need to know where we want to stay and what meal plan we want. Right now we're thinking The Polynesian or the Beach/Yacht Club based on descriptions from Birnbaum's. I've always wanted to stay at what is now called The Contemporary because the monorail goes right through it, but the Birnbaum description made me feel like there's more of a trade-off for that than I'm ok with. The Polynesian feels more "vacationy" to us and has food options that fit us better. The Beach/Yacht Club was recommended by a friend who did Disney internships and has family trips to Disney annually so she's seen most of it and loves the pool at the Beach/Yacht Club.

On to meal plans. Help? I remember Threnn having a strategy, and I'll review the thread to find it. Are there any updates to it?

Any other tips?

I'll be poking around mousesavers to learn what I can, but we're only 6 weeks out so we need to get moving so we can get meals and fast passes (and other shit?) booked.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Also, cheap me gets overwhelmed whenever I look at all this shit and it has actually stopped me from going before. With extra cash and time off, I'm ignoring my frugal tendencies and making it fucking RAIN.
    I feel u bruddah. Some day I'm gonna spend on a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Shit, I'm even thinking about flying business/first class.
    DO HIGHLY RECOMMEND

My wife and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in mid-November which was right at the start of Christmas in Disney. It was nice, and on the water so we could take boats to other places.

As for the meal plan, when we took our kids last year we stayed for a week and had a pile of "snacks" left on our meal plan at the end so we bought tons of candy just to burn it up. So I'd say stay on the light side for the meal plan and just pay for extras if you need them.

We didn't stay at the Contemporary, but we did have dinner on the roof at the California Grill. The food was lovely and we got a reservation during the fireworks show, which was totally worth it. They tell you when the fireworks are coming and open the observation deck so you can go out and watch.

Expedition Everest was probably my favorite ride, we did it twice. Toy Story Mania and Soarin' Around the World are both memorable too.

My folks have stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge a few times. Something cool about having your morning coffee while watching Giraffes and Zebras out the window. I've only ever stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort, which was nice, but was just a motel with pirate themeing.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either of the options you're looking at though. The Polynesian has Ohana and they have a really good dinner show my sister has gone to for every special event in her life for several years now.

When I go, we coattail on my sister's work perks so I can't really help with anything for planning. I can tell you the first 2 weeks of December are about as dead as it gets at the parks so aim for those weeks if you want less crowds.