Thread: Preacher

Preacher

I love the Preacher comic. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember parts of it vividly. There are definitely some lulls and some low points, but the premise, the villains, and many scenes really stick out in my mind, even today.

It's way over the top, it's an ocean of weirdness. An angel and a demon fuck and have a crazy god-baby called "Genesis." The angels keep it locked up forever, but it escapes and inhabits the body of Jesse Custer, a southern preacher with a bloody past, giving him The Word of God -- which means he can speak with red text in his speech bubble, and whoever he's talking to obeys him absolutely. He teams up with a murderous ex-girlfriend named Tulip and an Irish vampire named Cassidy. They're pursued by a Vatican order led by a German fetishist named Herr Starr, and an ancient resurrected cowboy whom God has repeatedly used as an invincible hitman, the "Saint of Killers." There's also a kid who attempted suicide by shotgun, failed, and now has a face like an asshole. His name is Arseface.

Yes, silly. But fun as fuck. When I heard AMC was making a show based on it, I immediately took a giant shit and forgot about it. No way they can keep up with all that. But honestly, the first two episodes are pretty good. Very little faith they'll keep it up, but so far it's worth watching. The tone and style remind me a bit of "Ash" on Starz. The dude playing Cassidy is awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seven episodes in, and I'm still liking this show a lot. Anybody else watching?

Alright, well, that's the EDIT: season one finale. Ten episodes. It was awesome, I love the show, and I feel sorry for all you little penises who are too scared to watch it.

Amazingly, unlike a lot of other shows lately, where you go "oh man that was great, but I have no idea what they're going to do in season two because the story's pretty much done now" -- this one has a very clear, very sweet direction to go in.
    Last edited by Macheath; 08-01-2016 at 09:18 PM.

So far in season two (2 episodes), the Saint of Killers is featuring very prominently, and I'm happy about that.

Watching episode 2x06 now. Loving season two. Seems nobody else is watching, though. Ohhhh wellllll.

Gnorlin, you really gonna watch 4 seasons of Preacher and not tell anybody about it?

Meanwhile I'm over here going "wait, season 4 is out?"

I'll pick it back up again. I probably got through 6 episodes or something, but maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset. It's a much slower burn than The Boys, so maybe that's why it didn't hook me the same way.