Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting old sucks

Oh and can't say how it felt to take all my XL and XXL shirts to Goodwill and order a whole new wardrobe size L. And, now I am starting to get into size M

And my pants size went from 42 to 32. That is a size I don't recall wearing since college (30+ years).

Yea, I've been donating a bag of clothes every month. I'm into size medium and down about 8 inches on my waist as well.

Oh yea! Was the T-levels how your hair changed colors?

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    I've been going through a rough patch in life over the last few months ... Depression fucking sucks.
    What's going on? Anything you feel comfortable sharing?
    - Definitely

Administrator
    Well, i have a family history of pretty severe depression, and I think it's all catching up to me a bit. I have historically managed it really well by maintaining a decent diet and exercising regularly (i used to run a lot). I've had a few major injuries over the last couple years that kind of messed up my running routine and I haven't been able to get back to it, especially with it being summer here. Anyway, compound that with being fully burned out at work, and then my wife, a recovering alcoholic, having a really really major relapse - which meant her heading to a hospital and then a treatment center for a month. It was really bad timing (i mean, there's no good timing for something like that) because I had JUST started with a new client with my day job and then i also just started a second part-time moonlighting job (in hopes of bringing some sort of joy to my work life). So now here I am working two and a half jobs as a "single" dad with three kids and a number of volunteering commitments. It was incredibly stressful. Thank god my parents live across town so they were able to help out with the kids a few days a week. Anyway, wife is back at home now, but still in outpatient treatment so she's gone for about 4-5 hours four days a week. Things are getting better, but still suck. I'm at least able to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, so my spirits are starting to lift enough for me to realize that i need to start taking care of myself again.

sorry for the dramatic ramble, but anyway, that's the short story.

zlord, damn dude, you are killing it!

Aw man, that's a lot to deal with, sorry to hear it.

Yeah, that's awful. Too many things piled on at the same time. If you need it, there's no shame in seeing a doctor and therapy. Sounds like you need a day job that doesn't suck too. A guy with your level of talent should have no problem finding something fitting that description.
    - Definitely

Administrator
    Yeah, i'm finally going to see somebody, i have an appointment in a few weeks with a doctor. As for the work thing, it's not so much about the job sucking, i'm just kinda burnt-out/bored of doing basically the same thing for 25 years. I'm looking at a complete career change to something completely crazy, i have some gears in motion, but it's a long road to get there. maybe by sometime next year, of course, the new venture will probably make me even more stressed out

Sorry to hear about your struggles man. Sometimes we just get so embroiled in trying to maintain a status-quo or becoming some sort of a hero that we lose sight of the big picture. What is it all for? We all need to stop and reevaluate our priorities in life every once in a while.

Your top priority should be yourself and your own well being. Because, bottom line is, if you're not good to yourself you're no good to anyone else.

We have one -really short- life to live, try to live it happy.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Yeah, i'm finally going to see somebody, i have an appointment in a few weeks with a doctor.
    Hey, so I saw the doc today, and it's "major depression", sweet!

giphy.gif

anyway, not really a surprise at all. doc prescribed me a bottle of pills that will hopefully help me get myself back above water over time to where i can self-manage with diet and exercise again. I also now have an appointment with the clinic's in-house therapist who will see me for a couple months and then help me find a long-term therapist.

Major depression? I ain't a doctor, but that sounds worse than regular depression. Well, here's hoping those pills help you out!