Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting old sucks

I hit a new low this morning at 202.6. I had put some back on after the surgery, but over the past 18 months, I only ever consistently gone down in weight.

I also got a gait analysis done yesterday and bought some new running shoes.

Also, I was class of '97 so shut up and get off my lawn!

Administrator
    1) Awesome on the weight!

2) Class of '95 checking in! Now i'm the resident curmudgeon in this thread, at least until RainMan chimes in...

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I also got a gait analysis done yesterday and bought some new running shoes.
    Congrats and thanks for reminding me I need new shoes.

Old '97 here.

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    1) Awesome on the weight!

2) Class of '95 checking in! Now i'm the resident curmudgeon in this thread, at least until RainMan chimes in...
    I got ties older than you, kid.
    - Definitely

Was looking for another old thread and read up on this gem. Quick update; after stalling out at 200.6 lbs back in 2016, I ballooned back up to about 230 again. It was the fall of 2016 when things started to get ugly with my now ex-wife and I was walking to the bar after my household went to bed a few times a week. Flash forward to around January of this year and the task of getting back down in weight was a priority for me again. I knew I needed accountability so I signed up for Medifast (now Livea). I weighed in at 227 that first day. As of yesterday, I'm down over 30 lbs, and weighing in at 192 at home. My goal is 180 and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I saw 190 yesterday and that felt damned good. When it rolls down to 18*, it'll be even better.

Still just doing brisk walks, but looking to add jogging in and some bodyweight fitness stuff once school starts up and some of the summer things taper off.

Administrator
    hell yeah, man, that's awesome! I've been going through a rough patch in life over the last few months, and as a result of that, i've been eating like absolute shit, like skipping meals and then drowning myself in ice cream almost every night. Not good. Things are getting better, and my mental state has improved enough that just this morning i was like "doood, you gotta get it together and get back in some sort of shape". I probably picked up about 15lbs of extra weight. I would like to get back to running regularly again, but we're right in the middle of the hot season here in AZ, so i just did 25 pushups before my shower this morning to get at least some sort of start. It was fucking painful, and to be honest, on the 25th pushup i kind of gave up halfway through it because it felt like my arms were going to give out, lol.

I'm happy to hear your awesome progress, and it helps inspire me to get my ass back to some sort of normal health as well. Depression fucking sucks.

I wonder if I could do a pushup.

I weighed in at 196.6 this morning. My goal when I started was 200, but now I'm not sure if I want to stop.

It's weird, but I feel like I've fallen into a routine of diet+workout that is difficult to break out of and I don't know if/when I should change anything.

Image-1.png

In other related topics, make sure you check your Testosterone level. When I started looking seriously at weight loss and all the factors that affect energy and metabolism I found that Testosterone plays a vital role. I took a test and discovered my T level was expected for a 85-yr old man. So I asked my doctor to change some high blood medications that were contributing to that, then eventually was put on hormonal therapy since May. It's just one of the many things that people (men especially) should keep an eye on as we get older.
    Last edited by zlordsahan; 08-21-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Holy shit man! You're down 60+ pounds!? Nice work.

Like seemingly everyone else, I was down below 190 a couple years ago. Then work stress, eating like shit, and drinking too much hit and I'm back up near 235. I've tried to get my shit together a few times but late nights at work and mental exhaustion keep derailing me.

Maybe I'll get my shit together one of these days.

Everyone is different. And what worked for me may not work for others, but I've tried different "diets" over the years and although some were very successful, I tend to always go back to my old ways. So I think it's useful to share my strategy this time, maybe it will help someone else:

- I started watching what I eat. Literally calculating calories by punching everything I consume into an app. That alone, helped me visualize how many calories I was putting in my body. To lose weight, I decided to reduce my intake to about 1500 calories a day. I don't use the app anymore, but I now have a much better awareness of what I am eating. The bottom line is: I eat anything I want when I want as long as I can count how many calories I am consuming. Ingredients and Portion size are key here.

- I don't like getting hungry. So I started loading up on protein in every meal as protein fills you up. I used to skip breakfast. Now I start my day by having a big breakfast with greek yogurt, 2-3 eggs with a protein shake. Lunch is a protein bar and a cup of tea. Dinner is a Lean Cuisine meal with a side salad. Sometimes I make a burger and other times a cauliflower crust pizza. Depends what I feel like. A late snack maybe some Jell-O or cheese stick or cereal.

- I used to sleep at 2-3 and get up at 9. I switched that to sleep at 10 and wake up at 6:30. This was a huge change for me. But it made me feel so much better overall. The big bonus for sleeping early: When you're asleep you don't eat

- I started walking. I hate exercise because I get bored quickly. I also don't like treadmills (I feel like a lab rat) or walking around cars and houses (smell fumes, cross roads, etc...) So I found a nearby park with a nature trail. Everyday after work I drive there and brisk walk for 3 miles (45 mins). It's a beautiful walk and every day is a little different. And even when it's 103 in Austin, it's still breezy and nice on the trail.

- I started drinking more water. A LOT more water.

Once I got into my routine, I was dropping a steady 2 lbs per week. Over time, I started going to the neighborhood swimming pool to do some laps (I haven't swam in years!) I also am loading up on vitamins and other supplements and got on Testosterone therapy, which I think helped overall kick off my metabolism but that is more related to combating aging symptoms rather than losing weight.
    Last edited by zlordsahan; 08-21-2019 at 10:52 AM.