Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon GO

This motherfucker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just spent 3+ hours wandering around my neighborhood. There's a community college and several parks in the area. At one location there were several Pokestops with "lure modules" or whatever they're called. I swear I saw 40+ people sitting and wandering around, all obviously playing Pokemon Go and shouting things like "omg a cubone." Literally everyone in this picture was playing the game.

Here's where I left things for the afternoon.

Was just watching the latest episode of Preacher when I noticed one of the five (!!) gyms near my house had been taken over by a Yellow faction weakling. I literally paused the show, drove down the street, and took it back. You are welcome, Red faction.

1edc8cac-cee9-45d5-bf29-318ad7a618d5.png

Edit: well ok that didn't last long

98f07351-8231-40dc-b78f-621d2b422182.png

HERE I GO AGAIN just kidding nah.

Edit again: That gym is now BLUE. Middle of the night, and it's still changing hands faster than a Canadian peso.
    Last edited by Macheath; 07-10-2016 at 09:51 PM.

I swear there wasn't a (pokemon) gym at work last week. There sure is now.

There's also a pokestop I can hit repeatedly from my desk, and four more I can grab by walking like 20 feet in any direction.

Good to know everyone's hard at work. I just caught a wild Raticate in the morning standup meeting.

So, I keep saving candies to evolve my pokemon, but as a result, everything I have is low level shit and i can't touch a gym I've been near. Did you just catch some high level ones or did you level them up and evolve them?

If you click on one of the pokemon in your collection, then scroll down to the very bottom (past the map showing their capture location), there's a "TRANSFER" button. This sends that pokemon off to Professor Willow, in return for which you receive another 1x candy for that family... "family" meaning a base pokemon and its evolutions, e.g. Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot all use "Pidgey Candy."

Sort your pokemon by # and sell off all but the highest CP of each type. At least, that's what I've been doing. Just keep the "best" of each pokemon, and feed it candy to power up and evolve. It's possible that two Rattatas might power up into Raticates with different abilities or something, but frankly I don't care; I'll just keep the best Rattata (highest CP), then evolve it and start keeping the best Raticate. All the rest get boiled down into candies.

When you level up your trainer, you'll catch higher CP "wild" pokemon. So yes, the longer you play, the better stuff you'll get naturally. So it's probably best to wait on evolving and powering up until you reach some sort of critical mass with your trainer level. I'm sure there's some way to play this game optimally. But again, I don't care too much.

Generally though, just sell off extra pokemon of each type, and then evolve once you have enough candies. The CP jump from Rattata to Raticate is hundreds of points, compared to the tiny jumps you get from powering up. So I guess my theory is to evolve first, then use the rest of your candy to power up.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    When you level up your trainer, you'll catch higher CP "wild" pokemon. So yes, the longer you play, the better stuff you'll get naturally. So it's probably best to wait on evolving and powering up until you reach some sort of critical mass with your trainer level.
    Like for example, check this shit out. My trainer's level 10 now, and the wild pokemon I keep encountering have such high CP values that they're escaping more and more often. I've lost an Abra and a Paras in the last hour or so. Need to start making judicious use of Razz Berries.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm almost lvl 7 and about to go on a hike with the family to a nearby church with 4 pokestops and a gym. It actually looks like they have a pretty cool little hiking trail behind it in the woods. This is one of the coolest side functions of this app; finding out cool shit that's all around us and we had no idea cause we don't pay attention.

Administrator
    I live about 1/4 mile from the massive central park of Tucson, Reid Park. I just went over there with my boys and rode bikes around and played Pokemon Go - it was probably about 107F out and there were HUNDREDS of people there, and judging by what I saw and who I asked - at least 95% of the people there were playing. At one area near the massive rose garden somebody had put a lure into the pokestop, so a huge crowd had gathered. an ice cream truck who must have noticed the commotion had pulled up and a large line had formed for his goodies. Unfortunately for the first 45 minutes we were at the park the Pokemon Go servers were shitting the bed, so I only got about 20-30 minutes of gathering/hunting. It was a lot of fun, and like Drewbie said, it was an awesome way to explore areas of the park i hadn't been to for probably 20 years. I'm hoping we can do the same tomorrow night, it was a blast. the boys had fun, and now they are completely wiped out, so it's like win win win win

Yeah, I just took a walk I would not normally have taken, stopped at an Asian cafe with a lure module, and had a large cup of bean tea. They're probably busier than they've been in a month. I think the social shit is half the point, Nintendo loves forcing people to interact with their environment.