Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DC Movies (NOT MARVEL, STAY OUT MARVEL)

This trailer passed me by somehow, but man, WW84 looks really good. Delayed until August. But okay, I wait.

Hmm

Why is that not Tara Strong? Stupid.

I bet you can guess the name of this painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

lol!

This "DC Fandome" event... are these movies gonna be good? Is this like a universe-wide soft reboot? Was "Joker" the vanguard of a new wave of superhero shits that are gonna take over for Marvel now that the Infinity Saga is done?

New decade, new Batman.

And guess what? If you get James Gunn, not only do I get a giant-ass boner for your movie, now a whole lot of awesome actors (and DJ Flula) want to be in it, too.

Oh, and another WW '84 trailer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    This "DC Fandome" event... are these movies gonna be good? Is this like a universe-wide soft reboot? Was "Joker" the vanguard of a new wave of superhero shits that are gonna take over for Marvel now that the Infinity Saga is done?
    How great would it be if DC figured out how to consistently make good movies.
    - Definitely

I just watched WW84.

It's on HBO, and it's 2.5 hours long.

Way too long.

Honestly, if I'd stopped watching at the 90 minute mark, it wouldn't have been a complete movie by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd at least have left thinking it was fun.

If I'd stopped at the 120 minute mark, I'd have thought it was stretching on and could have used some editing.

The last 30 minutes though, it just gets exponentially dumber and shittier. And I mean exponentially. By the end of the thing, I was wishing I'd just skipped it entirely despite enjoying some aspects of it.

Give it a huge miss, unless you've got 2.5 hours free and you're desperate for a little light entertainment. And be aware that after Diana renounces her wish at the two hour mark (definitely the emotional high point of the movie), there is no timestamp at which you'll be subtracting value by turning it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I just watched WW84... Give it a huge miss, unless you've got 2.5 hours free and you're desperate for a little light entertainment.
    Spoilers!

So, the story goes: Zack Snyder was making Justice League, then his daughter sadly committed suicide. He and his wife (one of the film's producers) quit to deal with their grief, as you'd expect.

Warner Bros. hired Joss Whedon, noted superhero filmmaker, to finish the job. Whedon -- either on his own or at WB's instruction -- totally recut the almost-finished thing, shooting new scenes and cutting the total runtime in half. It was those $25 million reshoots that led to the comical "Henry Cavill's upper lip" catastrophe, the insertion of dozens of lines of Whedon-level humor, and a dramatic shift in tone.

RottenTomatoes score: 40%. *sad trombone*

Here we are four years later, and Warner Bros. has spent another $70 million to give Zack Snyder a second chance to edit his movie back together.

Was it worth it?

Well, you've probably heard it elsewhere by now but I'm here to confirm: yes, it was worth it. This new version is four hours long, and has taken me several days to punch my way through (but it's split into 6 parts, so there are relatively easy stopping points). But it is legit as fuck. I loved it. There's too much slow motion, too much exposition, and Gal Gadot is a terrible actress... but Batman and Aquaman both killed it, the Flash was incredible, and even Cyborg has a hell of a lot of development here (despite no movie of his own). Every fight scene with Steppenwolf is amazing. The music is amazing. The effects are amazing. I don't want to set anyone's expectations too high (it's still the DCEU we're talking about here) but this movie definitely leaps into my top two DCEU movies with the original Wonder Woman.

RottenTomatoes score: 73%. Practically a different movie.

By the way, it's in 4:3 because Snyder shot it in IMAX. The Joss Whedon version clips off the top/bottom of the screen to make it wide. I don't mind the 4:3, but some people will.

The movie earns its climax. This scene was one of the best things I've ever seen in a superhero movie:
    Attached Images Attached Images