Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Movies (NOT MARVEL, STAY OUT MARVEL)

These buttholes are good at making their mediocre movies look good via awesome trailers (remember Suicide Squad?) so I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but the following trailer is pretty decent:

I would be so excited about this, if it weren't for all the other grittyverse DCEU movies. The darkness levels are already a meme.

I read a post today about how DC would be better served by just taking their best one off storylines and making standalone movies with them rather than trying to fight against the MCU. Make a Joker movie. Make a Superman lands in Russia instead of US movie. Quit trying to build what Marvel has done and just take the good they have to work with and be satisfied. I like that approach.

Agreed, that would be a great approach! I wish they'd done that, instead of trying for a massive crossover franchise and jumping straight to JUSTICE LEAGUE after like 2 other movies.

Imagine a world where we had different directors, different actors, all portraying different visions of the same characters, working their way down a hit list of the top twenty DC storylines of all time.

Instead, Superman with a weird lip.

I just saw Shazam! and IMHO ...... meh.

I hate to compare Marvel to DC, but I can't help it. How can Marvel produce such consistently good movies and DC continues to produce such consistently mediocre ones?

This movie could have been good. They made a good decision having the movie not take itself as seriously. I like Zachary Levi and Mark Strong (from The Kingsmen). The premise is pretty good. They even managed to limit themselves to a single villain this time. Yet, somehow it all falls flat. The jokes aren't that funny, the characters aren't that interesting, and the magical premise is incomprehensible.

Even the scene where his real mom rejects him made me yawn. What was the point of that?

About 5/8 of the way through the movie I realized that he still didn't really understand his powers or how to use them. I suppose handled correctly that could add realism, but, needless to say, it wasn't. It was just dull.

And, of course, yet another pointless superhero fist fight where there's tons of property damage but neither the hero nor the villain gets hurt. Again, when you punch a guy through a building and he gets up and dusts himself off, maybe think about a different approach than simply punching him again. To be fair, Marvel regularly falls into this trap as well. Marvel somehow manages to make it less boring, though.

DC needs to clean house. Maybe get some new young talent in there. Maybe they need to unshackle their existing talent and get rid of meddling studio execs. I don't know. But a radical change is badly needed.
    - Definitely

I liked Shazam alright, except for the ending where he turned into the Power Rangers. If you took that out, and also everything that made it seem necessary (his lame friends, the overly preachy and somehow still inscrutable prophecy behavior of his magical predecessor) the movie might have worked better. But I guess that's like 1/3 of the movie.